Will my angel trumpets bloom this year?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Rosebud, May 6, 2009.

1. Rosebud

Rosebud New Seed

I an growing angel trumpets from seed which has been a slow go. But now they are about 1 and 2in.tall so, I think they may make it.I have been worried that they may not live.My question is will they bloom this year and will they root from the stem since I grew these from seed? I was told if you raise them from seed you can't stsrt them from the stem,that doesn't sound right to me.Please help!!!!!! I love Angel trumpets

2. Loading...

3. bubbleoffplumb

bubbleoffplumb New Seed

generally speaking, I wouldn't try to propagate from stem cuttings until the plant is older. your plants sound like they're wee little babies :)
    I don't know which angel's trumpet you are referring to, so I don't know if they will bloom first year. did the seeds/seed packet come with a latin name?

4. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I have started Datura from seed. These are related to Angel's Trumpet (downward hanging blooms) Datura's face upward. They took a long time under lights this winter, but the plant is in a container on my deck about to bloom now.

5. blank6262

blank6262 New Seed

I would love to know where you got your seeds I have always wanted some angel trumpets my exfil had a bunch and I begged for some cuttings but he is stingy(LOL)

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I usually start some Angel Trumpets from seed each year. They are slow to get going but grow well once they are outdoors in the summer. I am in zone 5 and get lots of blooms.

8. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

You should get some blooms this year. Brugmansias or Angel's Trumpet hang down, Datura's face upward. I started Datura's from seed and got blooms the first year. I have started my first Brugs from seed this year, the one in the ground is about 8" tall and growing more every day. I don't see why you should not be able to take stem cuttings this fall and start more. I have started Brugs from stem cuttings and they did just fine.

9. Rosebud

Rosebud New Seed

Angel trumpets

I bought seed from Spring Hill Nursery.They are double yellow double white and double purple & white.I don't know the name of them but they are beautiful.I had 10 seed of each but I only had 8 to survive so I don't know what colors I have left.I hope I have at least 1 of each.They are now about 2 to 3 in. tall.They are beginning to grow now.I am having a big problem with slugs on all my plants.I am in zone 8 and have a lots of rain so everything I put on my plants gets washed off so I have to watch like a hawk to keep them safe.Thanks to everyone for your help.