Winter Solstice Sunrise and Sunset

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Biita, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Here was our Sunrise at 1:52pm yesterday.

[​IMG]

Here is the Sunset at 1:52pm, yep we still just have a minute here.

[​IMG]

And i thought i would take a pic of the mountain an barn just 6 minutes later by the time i got back up from the driveway. Too dark that fast!!!

[​IMG]

And not even one snowflake!!! Just rain, rain, rain. Altho it did stop for the day here, but did rain that night.

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I hope you don't mind my posting a sunrise from earlier this week. We've had lovely weather, and I thought the black clouds would bring some snow, but they just passed overhead. We've also got wind and rain now.

[​IMG]

4. Biita

I don't mind at all... i also thought the dark clouds would bring some snow,,, but we just got rain later that night instead. and ofcourse the ever constant wind.

beautiful color in the sunrise.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Biita, How much longer until you get some daylight? Hopefully it won't be too much longer.
    Very pretty photo Droopy.
    We had a severe winter storm a week ago today. Now we are having rain and milder temperatures. I wonder if there will be any snow left for Christmas?

Advertisement
  6. Biita

I haven't seen snow for a while now, i think 3 weeks. Its just rain. We been having temps 6-8 deg C. all this time. Thats mid to high 40's F. We have probably about 2-3 more weeks of dark. Since the darktime started Dec 8th, its usually 4-6 weeks from that time. then we start to see light, fast. so fast that by the beginning of May its daylight almost 24 hours aday.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Biita I told my folks about your photos this evening and they couldn't believe it :)

8. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Wow - one minute?! And here I was grouchy about a bit of overcast here making the daylight dreary! You have brought a whole new appreciation to me for light. o_O

Do you use those 'full-spectrum' bulbs a lot?

9. Biita

Frank i tell my kids this an send them pics email an they can't believe what its like here. My daughter is moving here, hopefully soon. like by spring/summer i hope. And she can't wait to experience it. I showed my son before he left for Iraq, an he was stunned how dark. but being a guy, thought it was way cool...lol.

Primsong glad i could help with the light appriciation thing... i to have a whole new outlook about daylight. I grew up in the Artic, but you forget those things as a child sometimes. Talk about a reality check,,lol.

And if i was a smart person i would have bought stock in light bulbs... (i go thru alot, our outside light is never turned off during this time) lights go on as soon as you wake up an don't go off until you go to bed.

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I don't think I could live there as I have to have daylight daily. That would be so depressing to have nothing but dark.