Wisteria Question - will this hurt it?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by AAnightowl, May 2, 2011.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Not sure where wisteria fits in the forums here. There is a lot of it growing in and around my yard. I am wanting to prune it back --I do cut it back a lot, but my one flower bed is full of root runners and wisteria vines climbing the trees. It is mixed in with my irises a lot. If I dig my irises, and pull up the vines as much as I can, will it hurt it too much ? I have never re dug that iris bed, and it could really use it. I want the wisteria, just not quite so much of it. There is some old fence wire in the mix that I am also trying to get rid of. :stew1:

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Wisteria is tenacious (a nice way of saying you can't kill it). Go ahead and dig your iris bed and rework it, and remove the wire. Pull away at the vines and roots--there will be some left that will reappear.
    Wisteria is lovely, especially climbing up trees, but it can get a bit out of hand!

4. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

yes i have it and it really gets places in my yard. Ive cleared it out of sections but it makes it back at a later date. I like it in the back of the yard only, where it started.

The vines can get really long, me and the kids we're moving some around just yesterday...be careful of the lil nubs on the vines as they can still poke you even though they aren't quite a thorn.

I still have to figure out what kind i have, there are like 3 common ones and about 10 different overall. Mine have all bloomed already....they smell gooood!

5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have it in multiple locations, so I am sure I wont get rid of all of it. I am waiting for my irises and the wisteria to bloom before I do that this spring. Thanks. :stew1: I toss the extra seeds into my woods in the fall or winter and try to give them away.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Although I haven't grown Wisteria... I'd say it's more than safe to prune it back... pretty hard to kill them, I hear. They are lovely, but I've been forbidden to grow any since they can get out of hand. :(

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I think I will have to wait for fall to do this project. I forgot that I had just planted zinnias in there, and there are already daffodils, tiger lilies, sedums, black eyed susans, violets, and several other kinds of flowers in there. :rolleyes:

8. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

You might be able to kill wisteria with a hydrogen bomb of 100 mega-tons or bigger, maybe.

I'm not totally convinced that is true though...

daisybeans likes this.
  9. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

LOL :D Perhaps. But a nuke would probably make it bigger like the B grade japanese movies we watched as kids. Remember those giant ants and grasshoppers that ate the world ?

10. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Wisteria is used as bonsai by some.

After trying it from seed, I think I'd take a rooted sample first.

Like willow, needs on going root and top pruning.

A machete or chain saw might be enough. ;)