With apologies to Eileen, it had to go.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Looking more like a weapon that one would find in the armory of a medieval castle, Eileen’s Scottish Thistle has enjoyed the summer as the only touch-me-not plant of the garden(no impatiens). It’s pedigree well established over a year ago, Eileen admits that it is her thistle,
    . http://www.gardenstew.com/about26697.html

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )
    [​IMG]

Like the Hydra of Greek mythology the multi headed plant loomed over the garden at more than seven feet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flowers were a favorite of bees, especially the bumble bees.
    [​IMG]

As the flowers matured I would cut them off least I find seeds with sails unfurled drifting on summer breezes to other parts of the garden. One was enough.

[​IMG]

Bumble bees favored the flowers using them like dance floors….1…2…3, 1…2…3.
    [​IMG]

Part way through the season I searched for a nut. ??? Perhaps this is the wrong variety or I did not let it mature enough. Anyway, no nut. :-(
    [​IMG]

I could just imagine the approach to a medieval Scottish castle guarded by thickets of these plants, Ouch!! There is a rumor about a Norse invader and his impailed bare foot alerting the local guard of his arrival.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the summer progressed more and more flowers had to be trimmed. Finally the end had the plant and its remaining flowers in the circular garden. Perhaps its progeny will have a new job guarding a landfill. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jerry

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Don't worry Jerry we have more than enough thistles over here. I doubt they'll ever die out in Scotland somehow. I just feel sorry for your poor bees as you're depriving them of one of the most delicious (to them) flowers we have over here. ;)
    There are quite a few companies that plant these skin piercing plants behind their fences and walls. I have a feeling that any burglar would only try once to scale their property boundaries. You would be able to hear their screams of pain for miles if they landed in a patch.

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I see them every now and then along a country road. I think there was some across the road from us before they cleared the land.
    I like them. Of course, my ancestry is Scottish. Well, and Irish.

dooley

4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yes Jerry I feel your pain. My hubby and I both hate them as they attack you back when one goes to remove them. We call them bull thistles. Because the a bullish to get rid of. Or maybe it's because of the spines that look like so many horns. You did the world a favor by ridding it of such a menace.
    I also have the type of thistles that grow the way quack grass does. It send rhizomes out every which way. You pull one out and another grows from the root left. Very frustrating. I have to make sure I am where armor when attacking any of them. ;)

Advertisement
  5. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

It's interesting that a predominance of the plants out west are prickly ones, cacti. But in the moister areas, a prickly plant is almost always considered evil. (Why hollies get a pass and put in so many yards is a mystery to me, no jumping in piles of leaves at those houses!)

6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Looks and sounds like a monster! We get thistles out in the pasture, but they are only about 2 foot tall.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have a perfect spot for some of those, must find seeds! ;)

There are so many Genera of Thistle, even a Cirsium texanum which I am always tempted to pluck a dried up bloom from when we are out in the country side.

Jerry, I grow Cardoon which is another Genera of thistle and the 'nut/seed' doesn't form until the bloom is spent and dry. Looks like you got that one before it could set seed.

The actual Scottish Thistle Onopordum Acanthium Onopordum acanthium (Cotton Thistle, Scotch Cotton Thistle, Scotch Thistle)
    Jerry, you might notice that the GardenStew database plant page is photo-less. hint,hint

purpleinopp likes this.
  8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That stuff looks wicked......I think we have something like that around here. I don't know how I would full it out. It just may bite me....

9. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Toni, If another one grows in the area I will send seeds.

Jerry

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

OUCH! I just cannot imagine growing that and getting poked in the garden while working...not a plant for me for sure....

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Our yard hadn't been taken care of for at least 20 years when we bought it. Oh yeah, we had thistles. Not the same kind as pictured but they were nasty. DH got most of them up but, of course, the seeds are still sprouting so it's a yearly thing to dig them up.