Worsleya procera rare Blue Amaryllis from Brazil-Hippeastrum procerum

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Pacnorwest, Aug 29, 2024.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Remarkable vids. I do like a blue flower.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

That's very pretty. I looked it up. Apparently grows on rock cliffs in the mist of tropical waterfalls.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Very nice color ‘Blue’ . Some how I managed to collect amaryllis bulbs nice color blooms for sparkling up the gloom of winters. Always appreciate the cheer their huge flowers exude in a bright display for the holidays.

Yes the bulbs grow in an odd area in mountains of Brazil lots of rain rocky soil , fast draining, and not yet cultivated by nursery conglomerates. Could it be a bulb untouched by horticulturalists ? I worry about its natural enviornment becoming stripped by thrives for $$$ .

Beware of scams online. I found some info on this bulb a few years ago and more info online about the heritage of the blue amaryllis can be found online today. Many readers thought it was a hoax at first. Out of curiosity I did order one that was on the common site Etsy. I received an empty container from China ( big surprise) and the contents were removed with a letter from US imports service that it was an illegal plant. Didn’t pay much for it. Another time ordered the blue amaryllis from another source and the bulb turned out to be a blue hyacinth bulb.

Today it’s marketed at a high price, but it still may be available at a better price eventually. The metaphor for a plant collectors dream , ‘ The Golden Goose’ . The search for a blue flowed rare plant which can consume us by illogical desires. Similar to the Lords of the Ring character D’eago who literally became possessed by the ring.

$200 per bulb is steep, even for someone that is a bit obsessed . Which reminds me of the illuminated petunias that I read about over 20 years ago. Lot’s of neigh sayers then too, Now I have the petunia that glows after dark, at $20.00 for 6” plant elaborately packed , which makes my grandkids smile is well worth it.