Would succulents be suitable on a rocky hill?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Mar 20, 2010.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hi everyone,
    I have a rock hill beside my driveway Do you all think I could plant succulents so I will have some color over there. Do they need sand or dirt or sand and dirt. I would love to get some over there if it will work. I seen some yellow orangy ones at Lowes. Any information would be appreciated

Thank you Margie :stew2:

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I think that would look absolutely lovely! :D I've got a sand-and-soil-mix in our stone borders since the soil keeps moisture better than only sand, and also keeps the soil steadier.

I don't know what zone you're in, so you'll have to check up on that. What we've got outside is this:

Overview:

[​IMG]
    Rock border starting to look good ( photo / image / picture from Droopy's Garden )

Lewisias. You can find them in all colours, white, yellow, orange, pink, darker pink, and they're good plants for colour. The rosettes are decorative too:

[​IMG]
    Lewisia ( photo / image / picture from Droopy's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Lewisia ( photo / image / picture from Droopy's Garden )

Saxifragas, we've got several different ones. Not exactly succulents, but drought tolerant and with different colours. The rosettes are decorative on their own too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sedums and semperviviums, as many as you could find room for. Some are tall, some are small, some spread like wildfire while others are rather modest and well-behaved. The sedums come with different leaf colours, including variegated, and have bloom colours from light pink throug to purple, and yellow too.

Sempervivums grow rosettes. You call them hens and chicks I believe. The rosettes can be greyish, green or red, and the blooms are yellow, pink or reddish. Very decorative plants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ehm... I think I took off a bit there. Sorry. :oops: I hope I've managed to give you some ideas though, and maybe others have photos of their favourite succulent for growing outside?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Beautiful photographs Droopy. Those should help Margie make her decision. :-D I think stones/rocks and succulents go sooooo well together.

5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Droopy, how could you help but show off your photos on this topic? :stew1: Nice images to help with great suggestions!
    (OOh, I have spring fever SO BAD!)

Advertisement
  6. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Succulents

Thank you Droopy, I wrote down all the names you suggested, And I will look for them. Your pics. are beautiful!! So what kind of sand would I get Just play sand or what? I'm new to the succulents. So I need help, Thank you so much,

Margie :stew2:

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Droppy that is a lovely collection of hardy succulents. Thanks for sharing. Now I just have to find a place.... :rolleyes: Time to get digging and building ;)

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Re: Succulents

Thanks, Margie. We have used play sand and have had no problems whatsoever. The Lewisias have tap roots and need some depth, and also like small stones tucked near the rosette to aid drainage if you get long-lasting rain, like for weeks. We do and the Lewisias tend to rot away then.

If you check up on Thymus you will find some drought tolerant ones. They make big cushions with small, lovely blooms that the bees like. They look good near the edges of the rock borders.