Yellow Christmas Cactus

Discussion in 'Plant and Seed Exchange' started by stratsmom, Nov 8, 2010.

1. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Does anyone have a yellow cactus they'd like to share? :-D I've heard of yellow Christmas or Thanksgiving cactus but have never found one. I have a white Thanksgiving cactus I could take starts off of to trade or an awesome pinky Easter cactus that I could pinch a few starts off of :p

2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yes I have seen yellow cactus at the local plant nurseries in my area. It looks exactly like the ruby ball cactus, only it is yellow in color.

It can be easily seen in my video:
    http://www.vimeo.com/3648559

However, shipping plants internationally will not work, as they will then have to be kept in quarantine for I think 6 months.

I do know how these colored cactus are made. First one of them (the ruby ball) was made in Japan (in a lab) by exposing cactus to gamma radiation. That's how the red, yellow, and pure while too was created. Later, offshoots from them were planted/grafted elsewhere - And so that is how we added color to cactus!

Only problem with them is that they have to be grafted onto another normal cactus (as the colored ones don't have natural chlorophyll in them) - That's why they then live off the other plant's green stem.

And this is also why no colored cactus lives for more then 7 to 10 years. And that's also why we can't grow them from seeds (as their seeds are usually sterile). They are propagated only by crafting.

stratsmom likes this.
  4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Wow! Thanks for all the information! I had no idea :-o That is really interesting, you've inspired me to research this a little more

5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Oh I for got to mention, they also must be kept in half shade (as direct sunlight often burns them very badly). But however delicate they may be, they sure do make one hell of a conversation piece - Therefore be sure that nearly all of your guests will be talking about it upon sight! :)

Which is why I read up on all these facts, as I wanted to appear somewhat knowledgable in front of my visitors!!! Hehehehehehe... :-D

Below is the picture of my Ruby Ball cactus (a.k.a Moon cactus). I really wish we could exchange plants internationally, that way I could have easily sent you what you are looking for (as it is very common here).

[​IMG]
    Ruby Ball Cactus ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

What a GORGEOUS flower! :eek:

Last night I ordered some starts for a yellow cactus off of ebay :rolleyes: You got me to thinking I really wanted one of these flowers :p They were only a few dollars so I thought I'd give it a try. I've purchased many other plants off of ebay and have been very successful.

7. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple