Yellow Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by carolyn, Aug 29, 2011.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I found this plant last year on the 50c table at Lowes. Has any one seen a yellow hibiscus before? I was very shocked when this bloomed today.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I haven't Carolyn but what a perfect beauty it is!! At only 50C you got yourself a real bargain.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I had one once, called Sunny Wind. But it had a red center. As you can tell, it wasn't a hardy one. But pretty nonetheless.

[​IMG]
    Sunny Wind Hibiscus ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

But your's looks like it might be a hardy one? It sure is a beauty... like a burst of sunshine!

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I'm thinking it is a patio plant. I came in a square "decorative" pot. I may take a cutting and see if it would winter over, but it looks like a house plant.

I bought maybe 5 or 6 of these ,sold all the others on my plant table this spring except this one and one other. I'll post it's picture also if it's anything unusual.

Advertisement
  6. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

Carolyn, yellow Hibiscus flowers are quite a common sight here in the tropics. They come in a veritable rainbow of colours.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Bernieh, after I posted this I googled yellow hibiscus and was amazed at the different varieties available...in a rainbow of colors. a little pricey for me, but they were gorgeous! I haven't "looked" at hibiscus since I worked in the flower shop YEARS ago. They have come a long way in 20 years. The only colors we used to see were red or red or red.Take your pick. all rather boring to me.

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Wow, I've never seen one either Carolyn. It sure is a beauty.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Gorgeous!!

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi Carolyn,

Those lovely yellow-flowered Hibiscus plants are common here, but as indoor plants. I have seen ones like that in to orient, growing outdoors.

I have to say, Carolyn--Ima widdow bit jewous of your good fortune. :D

11. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Carolyn, I have a Yellow Hibiscus which looks just like that. It too caught my eye when I saw it and I just had to buy it, although it was not 50 cents.

12. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Hi Carolyn, I have that same Hibiscus this year. It is a tropical, and has the most beautiful yellow blooms! I found mine at a plant stand this spring. It was cheap and I couldn't pass it up. However, it sort of went through a pouting period, especially when we were having our extreme heat in July. I shoved it into a corner (it's in a container) and really almost forgot about it, thinking if it was going to pout like that, it was not going to be in a prominent spot. Well, it re grouped itself and put on a lot of new growth, filled out, and has been blooming like a champ for a couple of weeks now. I have placed it in the front of the the house and am really enjoying it! I will attempt to over winter it, but have not had very good luck in the past. Any hints? :stew2:

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Kay, I bought mine last Fall and kept it in the greenhouse over winter. It was the slowest to bloom of all the one I bought (at .50 each I couldn't pass them up) I was wondering if it would ever do ANYTHING. So I was pretty shocked when it popped a bloom. The only thing I plan to do different is to feed them with a systemic insecticide and fertilizer to kill any mealy bugs, spider mites or aphids so I don't re-infest the greenhouse this winter.

14. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I always use the systemic for all plants coming indoors after their summer vacation. Guess it's about time to start thinking about doing that. Thanks for the advice, and I sure hope I can keep my hibiscus happy. I wish I had a green house! Just a big south facing 'sunroom".