Fruit, Veg Annnd Flowers

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The past few days we have taken advantage of the weather here, heading out to the lottie for a workfest. There was a to-do list without end. Well, if I am honest there is always something to do there, even in the winter.

One thing was to to roll back and bring away the thick winters’ mulch layers of two of the four veggie quadrants. Things must be planted soon: beetroot, parsnip, Swiss chard and of course the spuds.

In the first plot to be cleaned and min-tilled was that first plot where we began with the leeks this past saturday. Before min-tilling we always add a layer of compost.
    IMG_3587.jpeg

Do you see the mulched bed across the grass path and to the right? That is the second bed that was handled. But, in this bed though is where the Swiss chard, beetroot and parsnips will go.

Now then, the second bed:
    IMG_3593.jpeg

You can see that it has now been cleaned, composted and min-tilled. We will plant seeds perhaps as early as tomorrow. We shall see how the weather shapes up.

The Bride slipped behind the greenhouse where my bees used to stand, and the new plum tree. Was planted to remove all the mulch from there as well. I lurve the mulch because there are almost no weeds and so many worms that you cannot count them.

The second half of the broadies were planted out and the net made secure. Not so much against the voles and such, as the water birds that navigate the canals. To make the plantlets less attractive to the voles, I removed the seed halves from the stems and planted them a third deeper than the top of the root trainers in which they were germinated. I am well chuffed with how they are faring.
    IMG_3589.jpeg

Our zitje is beginning to take on a charming aspect…slowly, but surely.
    IMG_3597.jpeg

Some fruits are coming along, mates— the blueberries:
    IMG_3582.jpeg

The Moonlight apples:
    IMG_3584.jpeg

…annnnnd the strawbs are making an early entrance. Their early days always fill me with anxiety:
    IMG_3586.jpeg

There are a couple of flowers that I want to show you now.
    First the transplanted Camassia…stunted as I had suspected. Too bad, but they are beginning their blooming cycle:
    IMG_3594.jpeg

Then, the new Frit:
    IMG_3591.jpeg

…and finally the Bluebells are beginning to come into their ow:
    IMG_3583.jpeg

They are lovely, but a bit of a bully.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
    Logan, Frank, Clay_22 and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Like the bully’s and your garden style is professionally designed and always beautiful no matter what the growing stage thru all 4 seasons.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Very nice! Oh my!
    I think the camassia will be fine. They are just getting started.
    The town of Camas, Washington is near here. Camassia is native to thus area. There was none in my yard until I planted it. They can be quite vigorous.
    Those bluebells are a beautiful shade of blue.
    You are a fine example for me to aspire to,

5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Totally agree with what Daniel has expressed about Sjoerd’s beautiful pics always a garden of great passion, love and joy.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This was a real joy to see Sjoerd! I spotted those strawberry flowers in the first photo :) And had a mental image of your bride soon checking them every day for a berry, and you checking them twice a day for healthiness. Hopefully the frost stays away from your precious strawberry blooms.

I love the photo of the window of your garden shed looking out over your piece of paradise, and the bird feeder. I can see the two of you in there with your tea watching the birds.

Thank you for sharing all of the beautiful flowers. It made my day. (I've looked back a few times. :) )

Logan, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sjoerd, what is sitje?
    So nice to see your garden coming alive ... mine is always several weeks behind.

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Netty— Sorry….a zitje is a place where we sit to drink tea and have a chin-wag about this and that. Zitje just means, a little place to sit. I ought to have proofread the text.

Thank you so much, Pac. Fingers crossed.

Mel— who has the sharp eyes then. Well spotted. Yeah, I always worry about the cold and the blooms. I can’t help it. :)

Daniel—interesting to read about the city of Camas, and your planting them on your property. I did know they were native to North America.
    That last comment was waaaaaay out of line, but my thanks is enormous. Coming from a real gardener like you, it is a serious compliment, truly.

Pac— you are so nice to make compliments. When you think how small my garden is, it seems like compliments are larger than the garden itself. Thank you so much, nice person.

Melody Mc., Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

You're doing well with everything Sjoerd, what do you mean when you said that your Bride slipped behind the greenhouse, did she actually slip?

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

No Loggie, I meant that whilst I was doing something my Bride went over behind the greenhouse and cleaned-up the fruit tree plot there. So I was saying that she went back there on the quiet. I was thrilled about that extra bit of work. Sorry for the lack of clearness.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Cheers to your Bride …what a nice thing for her to do.

Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Oh dear, i hope that she was ok and thanks for the clearness.

Sjoerd likes this.