My Garden,..and Beyond.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Philip Nulty, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Since i removed the old Greenhouse from the bottom of the garden i have converted the space into a plant growing and work area,..not a huge space but enough to complete everything i need to do.
    IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

The above are all cuttings taken last year,..all seventeen of them have taken,..so i am ready for Winter Chrysanthemums like below.
    13th Nov 2013 058.JPG

Counted my Hosta today,..eight in total though i should have made more dividers.
    IMG_1776.jpg

Decided to get rid of all my Sedum and replace them with Pansies and Mimulus,..the Sedum is acting as a border in several parts of the garden,..all in long containers,..3Ft long,..looking at the Sedum today,..i decided not to dump it:whistling: as it will be green during all seasons where as the Pansies and Mimulus wont,..luckily i only dumped one container full.

Below the Sedum can be seen on the right side,..Mimulus on the left,...aghhhhhh bad mistake,..luckily i can rectify it.

IMG_1777.jpg

The Dry Wall is starting to get covered nicely with,..Campanula and some Oxalis.
    IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Philip, nothing like a nice space to pot up cuttings, germinate seeds, etc. It looks like you've got a great place there. Congrats too on your reproducing those chrysanthemums. They look great.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Cayuga Morning,..up until i cleared that space i was potting here and there,..though careful enough not to spill soil on the paths,..i don't know my comfort to have everything in one spot.

I was greatly surprised that i managed to get all those cuttings to take as they were left outside during Winter.

Another surprise i got was when clearing the location for the new Greenhouse,..the only plants there were Dahlia and one volunteer Arisaema ( Cobra Lily ),..so what is this i ask,..not Dahlia or Arisaema?,..so i have it in a pot of its own and its starting to sprout a shoot,..i will keep a close eye on it.

The Mystery Bulb.
    IMG_1551.JPG
    IMG_1552.JPG

Helleborus orientalis 'Double Ellen Red'.
    IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

Mixed.
    IMG_1444.JPG

===============================================================================

The Castle and views from and around it,..this Castle is approx 100 yards from my house.

Video===Athlone Castle.

DSC08526.JPG

Netty, Henry Johnson, 2ofus and 3 others like this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

I like your mystery bulb Philip. Fun to see what it will become. From here (New England) it looks like a potato...all except the shoot. Very unpotato like!
    Hellebores are gorgeous. I just bought some (babies) last year. They are all up & healthy but still too young to bloom. I like yours.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Philip- I will send you red columbine seeds just as soon as they are ready ;) I'm a little confused since I haven't been around for a while...I am replying to NEW posts, 5/7/16, right??

Philip Nulty likes this.
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Deanna,..yep its May 7th 2016,..great that you have found me:smt041,..i did get Red Columbine Seeds way back:like:nothing red appeared so far,..however they might pop up this season as lots of new Columbine have started,..now they might be red or just self seeders,..fingers crossed.

7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Its a very big bulb,..in fact the biggest bulb i have ever come across,..if i place my hands thumb to thumb and forefinger to forefinger,..that would be the size.

Nice to know you got some Hellebores,..you never know some might bloom this year depending on how young they were when you got them,..though mine were slow growers,..but the waiting for the blooms was worthwhile.

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

May 9th 2016.
    In September last year i was off wandering with the dog and came across a huge area of Camomile,..my first time to come across this in my area and its not something i would miss,..i imagine some Angler was having a cup of Camomile Tea on the steps,..discarded the tea bag and up grew the Camomile.

Camomile.
    DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

So i took some roots,..as any gardener would,..and below is how those roots have performed.
    May 4th 2016. 021.jpg

9. Cayuga Morning

Cool! Looks like that chamomile is off to a good start!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

May 10th 2016.

Cayuga Morning,..yes i am really pleased with that Chamomile,..it being a tall growing plant will suit me and it will be interesting to see if it gives off a good scent on sunny days.

Last year i tended to pull the blooms that were finished from my Hollyhocks,..in doing so there were times that the bloom just came away easily and there was a cup like section remaining,..other times the entire bloom and cup section would come away.

At the end of April this year i found one of the Hollyhock cup sections lying in the soil with a green shoot protruding from it,..just like one would see coming from a bulb,..so i potted it,..checked it today and its healthy as ever,..it would be nice if it grows into a Hollyhock.

The Cup and green shoot.

DSC_0014.jpg

Upside Down.
    DSC_0015.jpg

Another surprise from last year was a volunteer plant,..not one familiar at all to me,..'Arisaema speciosum' or Leopard Lily,..i ended up with four of these but only one matured as below.
    18th June 2015 087.JPG

18th June 2015 088.JPG

As long as i have grown Hollyhocks a black one never appeared for me,..it happened last year though described as Black when the sun hits it you get the impression its dark brown?.
    DSC07490.JPG

DSC07493.JPG

Video===My Hollyhocks.

DSC07929.JPG

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I have a Pieris japonica 'Andromeda',..growing in a three foot high container and its doing very well,..i know it will do a lot better if it were planted in the ground,..so today i knocked down part of my dry wall to give me room to dig a big hole and planted the Pieris japonica in a well watered hole.

Pieris japonica 'Andromeda',..as it changes color from green to pink to red before it blooms.
    IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

Where it was positioned in the container.
    IMG_1786.JPG

New position with part of the wall removed.
    IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

Bluebells.
    IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_1826.JPG

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Today was a scorcher,..94F,..worked in the garden for a few hours but stopped when the legs started to go and i was getting dizzy,..too warm too quick,..i had to paint the eaves.

Tulip.

IMG_1838.jpg

Mimulus.
    IMG_1857.jpg

Mimulus.
    IMG_1858.jpg

Mimulus.
    IMG_1862.jpg

Columbine.
    IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

Now in full bloom,..Armeria maritima 'Armada Rose'.
    IMG_1847.jpg

13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I was out walking the dog today and came across some friends Fly Fishing,..before i opened my mouth one of them said,..here's Philip he will settle the argument,..one asked how long i was gardening?,..61 years this year,..is that long enough?,..the argument is,.. do you plant the Carrot Seedlings you have thinned out?

In the first place i never have had to thin out the seedlings as i sow the seeds,..thinly,..approx two inches apart,..if one had to thin out seedlings,.. the rubbing of the seedlings would attract the Carrot Fly and they would destroy the crop,..so no thinning out,..seedlings transplanted produce Carrots with stumpy legs of all shapes not easy to prepare for cooking,..so the answer is no.

So one would think after all those years i would not be stumped for the name of a bush growing in my garden,..i am stumped,..some cuttings i was given have grown into a two foot high bush,..i think its a Peony of some kind.
    May 4th 2016. 015.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

Video===Rose ( Rosa 'Fond Memorie' )

DSC08116.JPG

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    stratsmom and Henry Johnson like this.
  14. Cayuga Morning

Peony Philip? Maybe a fuschia?

stratsmom and Philip Nulty like this.
  15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cayuga Morning,..if those buds would open i would have a better chance of knowing what it is,..the buds hanging like they are casts doubt on it being Peony and more like a Fuchsia.

stratsmom likes this.