A Great Show

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sydney Smith, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Looks good Sydney. I love early spring color. It is so cheerful.

2. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Kitty. Thanks and agreed a lovely time of year. Took some pics of other herbaceous plants just showing through and put them in a seperate topic Old Friends Return - they have been my friends for many many years and its always great to see them re-appear after winter. Syd.

3. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

IMG_8602.jpg Latest pic of one Rhubarb clump - grown mainly by me for its foliage. Contrast this shape with spiky, swordshaped, rounded, ferny etc foliage of different heights in a group - makes a really good impact.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Do you also use some of the rhubarb Sydney or is it strictly for decorative purposes?

Advertisement
  5. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Frank. I have four nice large clumps growing in the semi wild part of our plot. Wife occasionally eats some or friends take some away - otherwise it is for ornament only. I mentioned it looks great with suitable different sized and foliaged plants grouped round it - or in solitude as this pic. Rhubarb is one of those plants I think which get roots "passed on" quite a bit and consequently there may well be some good old varieties around which have had this happening (survived) for many years. I suspect this may be one because I have had folk say its the best flavoured they have tasted - I do not know its name unfortunately. Just a guess this but as crop plants are developed thinking in terms of a market and speed of growth possibly a lot of the flavour gets lost on the way - although still tasty of course. The same has happened with many perfumed plants like Mignonette, Rocket, Musk and others of the old fashioned cottage garden types - as they have been developed for bigger flowers so the perfume has gone. Any thoughts?. Regards. Syd.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Frank likes this.
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

IMGP0232-001.JPG

Another Great Show - this little Erodium which grows in the greenhouse ( though hardy) with other alpines. The pink flowered version which also does well grows in a raised bed outdoors.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
    GinnyC likes this.