A small town garden

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by i love bugs, May 20, 2006.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Fabulous! Glorious lovely photos of wonderful gardens!

Eileen, I have a photinia in the back garden and my neighbour planted one between our gardens out the front. They are lovely shrubs, but boy do they grow fast! The red leaves at the moment are stunning and mine is froffing over with white flowers.

Bugs, how hard could I cut mine back without killing it? It is about 10 foot tall and probably a similar width and it is starting to take over its patch!

2. Jitterbug

Jitterbug New Seed

I love the totally filled in look you achieve. Beautiful, you have a great eye, and talent. Thanks for sharing.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks for that info EJ. I might justhave to restain myself then as I really need something that is very slow growing. I don't have space for anything that'll swamp the garden too quickly. :(

4. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

EJ , Photinias look best if they are kept small ie 3 to 5 feet, regular pruning ( once a year ) once the bright new foliage has started to fade ,it requires clipping usually mid summer . Specifically about a mature plant and hard pruning , I don't know .
    But heres a trick for you , if a shrub needs cutting back and you are unsure about the pruning , what you can do is to prune away one third of all growth selectively around the plant so that it does not look pruned . Keep an eye on it to check for new growth . If you see new growth let it grow and later on you can prune the rest of the plant .
    Eileen go on be a little devil, treat your self , you know you can't resist .
    8) Bugs

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

:smt010 trying soooooo hard to resist. Is it working? :smt009 [​IMG]........off to the garden centre!!!!! :D