Another Quilt Top.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Daniel W, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

That's going to be an awesome quilt, Willow!

When I look around my house etc, it's obvious those shades of blue and grey are my favorite. They would fit just right into my own quilts.

Clothes vary a lot, but sometimes the quality of mens shirt fabric is better than a lit of quilt fabric. The varied textures give a quilt some nice effects too.

I hope you will keep posting. It will be awesome!

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Thanks Daniel! Friday is the beginning of spring break so I'm going to work on all the quilts. Probably the girl's first, only because I have the 4 patches done for theirs. I started all these in Texas, then moved back to Washington and never unpacked them until we moved here. This is their pattern (again not my picture, just the same pattern as what I'm doing). I have the hearts finished and just need the fabric cut and sewn for between them.
    upload_2024-3-20_21-11-41.png

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Daniel W like this.
  3. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I agree. Some of the fabric at Joann's is really bad. I think they had to make it better back when there was Hancock and House of Fabric all in the same town. Now Joann's doesn't seem to have any competition so the quality of fabric has gone down. Most of my fabric came from House of Fabric during their midnight madness sales they'd have. Now I go to second hand stores for good fabric. I just noticed her's is not a 4 patch, mine is.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    Jewell, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

A few of the hearts. The pattern I have for it uses a charm pack, but I just cut my own squares. 17109884059023999503153322007088.jpg

Oh, I got the Cricut box in there. My cutting table has a dual purpose, my Cricut is at the end for scrapbooking.

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Daniel W like this.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Joannes filed for bankruptcy a few days ago. Apparently they will stay open, but who knows? That probably won't help their quality any. I go there once in a while, mostly to check the latest edition of "Todays Quilter" I don't need more quilt patterns, so I don't buy those lately.

Actually, my plan now is work down the fabric I have. Why have it if I don't use it?

For the next quilt, I'll assemble together large scraps of batting instead of buying new. There is a whole drawer full now, mostly big pieces.

https://www.nationalquilterscircle.com/video/piecing-together-quilt-batting-012108/

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Willowisp0801 like this.
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Those will make a really colorful quilt!

Precuts can be nice, if on sale. I think they can cost a lot otherwise, and I've been stuck with too many pieces I didn't want.

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Willowisp0801 like this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

What a Cat-astrophe!

Sjoerd and Willowisp0801 like this.
  8. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Thanks for the video! I have 2 baby quilt size battings of warm and natural, that I picked up at a couple second hand stores. I don't find them often, but I pick them up whenever I do. My machine doesn't have zigzag, it's too old. So I was trying to figure a way to do it without that. I was talking to my neighbor a week or so ago and she said I could use her sewing machine. So it's nice to know that it is possible.

Daniel W, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Do you have any fusible interfacing lying around? Some quilters cut one-inch wide strips from that, and use it as a kind of tape to join the batting, instead of sewing it. I haven't tried it. I don't know if it will show in the final quilt.

https://sewcanshe.com/2016-10-6-2-ways-to-join-quilt-batting-and-use-up-small-pieces/

I have a bad habit of just stuffing the batting pieces into a drawer and thinking I will use them some day. this time, I actually will LOL.

I was reading a quilting site, and a commenter said this can also help if you - oops - cut the batting too short or it shifts that way after you started quilting. You can add on the extra needed batting and, no problemo.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    Pacnorwest and Willowisp0801 like this.
  10. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Thanks, I do have fusible interfacing. I will be trying that.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  11. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Here's a quilt top I started. It's a prototype for a quilt I'm custom-designing and making for a special person. Since it's a prototype, it's a collage of fabrics that were sitting around. Nothing is sewn together yet, just sitting on the floor.

IMG_8559.jpeg

All of those other quilts on my back burner will have to wait. I really especially want the Christmas quilt done on time. With hot weather and the house stuff winding down, maybe there is time for an indoor project like this one.

I already see a couple of changes I want to make. No problem, I can change anything until it's sewn together.

Willowisp0801, Jewell, Sjoerd and 4 others like this.
  12. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

That's going to look fabulous @Daniel W ....very lucky recipient indeed.:)

13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

14. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Such incredible artistry and skill. I greatly admire your talent.

Daniel W and Willowisp0801 like this.
  15. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

It's been ages since I came here! School was out, my granddaughter bad her procedure done, we went to Washington State for a week, got back and had to move things from the basement so step 1 of the sump pump could get done (jackhammer the floor at 7:30 in the morning, lay the new tile, wait for inspector, then cement over). Step 2 have the sump pump guy come out and put it in and the pipe for the drain, replace my sink, and move the washer and dryer back (insert Kermit's, "moving right along" song) step 3 have electricians come out to wire the sump pump to its own circuit......and it came to a screeching halt! The jackhammer people were supposed to take out the walls when they were here, when I told the electrician; he said there's no reason for him to put in the electrical if the walls are coming down, which means the inspector won't be out to inspect the electrical and the capped Palmer valve, which means I still have a hole in my basement, until it can be inspected, I strategically placed a cat box over it so the cats can't get down there. (Whew!!!) So I'm working on three quilts (which is why this is under this stream). But I can only go as far as cutting and can only sandwich one because I usually use the floor for laying them out before sewing them together. I don't have a floor because what couldn't go into the garage from the basement is upstairs in my living room, sewing room and kitchen. I had one top done. I had already decided to give my grandkids pillowcases for Christmas this year. Once I found out I needed to make 5 quilts not 3. Then one of my favorite teachers at work told me she was pregnant so I wanted to make her a baby quilt, which is the top that's done. Then I found out another teacher was pregnant as well. If you've ever worked in a small school, you know how things spread. So I couldn't make a baby quilt for one and not the other. My granddaughter asked me to make a quilt for one of her best friends mom who is also pregnant. So there's the three, that I'm working on. 17213208426183570075780047185562.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2024
    Nate77, Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.