August in Iowa

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by sewNsow, Aug 27, 2012.

1. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Hi,Koszta,I have never been to Brucemore. If you are in Cedar Rapids,go to Knollridge Park. Beautiful flowers there.I've gotten a few cuttings there in the fall.That Mahogany Hibiscus is an easy plant. I found it for sale at Hyvee Drugtown garden center this year.
    Those fancy cannas are tricky to keep over.I've had many,many perish.They keep well if they are in a pot & you can take pot down basement.I had bad luck with my dahlias since we waterproofed cellar. They got too dry.
    Netty,If you have ever had Snow On the Mt. I'm surprised you don't still have it. It is said "once in never out".I don't find it invasive,though.
    Thanks everyone for all the compliments.
    sNs

2. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

SNS I the park. Would go there after Easter dinner. Will go there this fall and take a look around. At Brucemore had 60 Vendors. Many selling flowers. Only there once. Sis and BIL had their Hot air balloon.

3. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Koszta,It used to be an Easter & Mother's Day tradition for our family to go to Knollridge. Since my Mom's gone just Wayne & I go.
    I'm really not in the market for any new plants this fall.A friend has 2 nice daylilies to give me for our help but I'm not wanting until next year.I'm taking a wait& see attitude according to how this drought shapes up. I certainly don't want more plants to have to constantly water.I will say I might replace some things with plants that can take less rain.Ha ha not cactus.
    All in all,in spite of no rain & Japanese beetles being so bad,I consider it was a good year.It was just much more work!
    sNs

4. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

SNS one thing I learned even more more mulch. And more soaking hoses. And One flower that seemed to love drought-blanket flower. And did away with thinner walled container. Even watering 2 times a day didn't work.

Advertisement
  5. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Koszta,We got the nicest free mulch in town couple miles away. Mulch is the secret. Only thing is when we get those little showers it doesn't go through the mulch.My hostas really,really grew this summer.They are needing to be moved & will be a bear to deal with.
    They look awful now. Lots of brown on leaves.Some,too much sun. Sun was hotter this summer. They say animals are even getting sunburned.
    I will see about soaker hose. I know nothing about those.
    sNs

6. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Here are my latest photos.I keep thinking I've taken my last shots then see more that I hope are good.(':)');
    Doris

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from sewNsow's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Caladiums,coleus,Iresine &Persian Shield (lower right) ( photo / image / picture from sewNsow's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Coleus Caracas ( photo / image / picture from sewNsow's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Distant Drum Rose ( photo / image / picture from sewNsow's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Aster Frikarti ( photo / image / picture from sewNsow's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Bee Happy Dahlia (new this year) ( photo / image / picture from sewNsow's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Bee Happy Dahlia ( photo / image / picture from sewNsow's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Uproar Zinnia ( photo / image / picture from sewNsow's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Uproar Zinnia,my favorite zinnia ( photo / image / picture from sewNsow's Garden )

[​IMG]
    mostly cannas ( photo / image / picture from sewNsow's Garden )

Frank likes this.
  7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Your garden is so beautiful sNs!

8. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Beautiful garden photos, I particularly liked to pot of caladiums and coleus.

9. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

SNS do you direct seed your zinnias or put out plants. I love the color of yours.

10. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Glad you like the pictures.
    Kostza,I plant those zinnias in cups inside. The seeds are $4.oo for 15 & I wouldn't trust to plant outside at that price.They got a black spot mildew recently.
    I only have 3 or 4 that are nice,yet. Don't know if it is in the soil or due to stress from drought.
    By the way,we got almost an inch of rain early this AM.
    Wind blew a little.
    sNs

11. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

SNS I had paid that for some seeds. And had them in containers. The ones the coons played in.Wish I had windows or green house that I could start plants.

12. Juana Jennifer

Juana Jennifer New Seed

Your garden is very fabulous. They are beautiful and colorful looking too.

13. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

SNS I pray this snow we are getting helps your garden and mine.Got kits to make my container to be self-watering. will hold gallon of water And Garden Supply had soaking hoses on winter sale got them also.

14. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

KK Have you heard on the news from channel 9 that they are already looking at water conservation.? They want everyone to start right now to conserve water.If people are careful they might not have a mandatory regulation.
    This won't affect you & me,though.But I think we know to save water anyway.
    Those self watering pots sound like a good thing. We will look about the soaker hoses,too. Never have used.
    You probably got a lot more snow than us. I was talking to a friend in northern MO & she was without power for 2 days.Think she said they got 12 inches.We haven't lost power for years & that was due to icestorm.
    sNs

15. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

SNS.The soaking hoses work great.Beats dragging hoses all over. looking at cost of putting in sand point .But great to see the river and creeks rise.