Bad Companion Plants

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Green Fingers, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Green Fingers

Green Fingers Seedling

Ok I'll do that. How long are the wines and how many cantaloupes per wine on an average if you could recall. If the wines keep growing then I may have to look for a new site in the yard.

2. mart

mart Strong Ash

Runners can get 5 feet long. You will probably need to just circle yours around. Average is about 4 melons each but can be more or less depending on weather,soil ect. You might try getting a good quality tomato cage and grow up instead of out as some of the other members are doing. Just tie the runners up the cage as they grow and support the melons with something.

3. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Since we don't spray our garden, I try to do what I can to help it along. We have plenty of space, so it's easy to seperate the plants.

4. Green Fingers

Green Fingers Seedling

Thanks Mart, I should try that!
    Growingpains, I am also an organic gardener but limited with space for gardening. I am fairly a new gardener and hope my learning curve will improve with time in the company of all the seasoned gardeners here!

Advertisement
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

GF you might consider converting part of the flower garden to edible plants. Many are kind of pretty in their own way. Squash has large flowers (also edible). Greens or lettuce can act as a ground cover and comes in colors. Some Chard has red stems and leaves, That might add to your vegetable garden without taking extra space. If that is a possibility.

6. Green Fingers

Green Fingers Seedling

Yes, That is exactly what I need. So far I have planted potatoes and onions. The other vegetable seedlings are still in hardening off process. I will take your suggestion and use the lettuce as ground cover :). Thanks again Mart and happy gardening!