Beating The Whites...A Balance

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Feb 12, 2010.

1. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

i enjoyed your 'blues' too sjoerd...and snapping my fingers and tapping my toes in approval!:D

2. Newfpaws

Newfpaws Seedling

I'm with Netty. We need snow desperately. Truly, I am envious right now of any amount of snow. I can drive 5 miles and get into 3 feet of snow or 30 miles and get into 5 feet of snow but for some reason this year we just haven't gotten any at home. Makes me a little worried for fire season this year. Sjoerd - your song was awesome! You should do a youtube of it so that it could be posted here. We would all get so much enjoyment out of that I'm sure.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks alot KAY--
    I shall enjoy watching those seedlings develop. I look at them almost hourly during the daytime that I am home.

Ahhh BUNKIE-- thanks much. It was fun doing that number.

Thank you NEWFPAWS-- It would be fun making a clip of that song. I doubt that it would be winning any Grammy Award nominations however. :D

4. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

ah, sjoerd, was just looking at your pics of the babies germinating. i'm planting the Aquadulce broad bean this year too! and will be starting them soon.

i see you have them in root trainers. this is the first year i'm trying the root trainers. i got 3 of the 32 and 3 of the 64. i think the 64 will be the right size for me. which did you get?

about how long can you keep your beans in these root trainers before transplanting?

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiyah Bunkie,

I only use the 64 root trainers.
    Generally I leave the beans in until they have 2-3 sets of leaves.
    I do not plant them out until there is little chance of hard frost.
    I do not worry how long I keep them in the root trainers because when used correctly, the system is such that when the roots grow out the bottom, the air hits them and drys the points out and that means the roots will develop a nice, thick "ball", which is exactly what you want before you plant them.
    In my opinion, the roots are everything--the better they are before you plant the plant the better the chances of survival and development are.
    Another 'plus' for the root trainers is that you don't disturb the roots too much when transplanting. The more you disturb the roots, the longer it will be before the plantlet comes back "up to speed". At the best of times it will be at least two weeks.

The postman just brought in my second seed orders--there were more 64 root trainers in that box. :)

6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks for the info sjoerd. i like the 64 too. i am readying to start beans and peas very soon. i'm so anxious to try these root trainers. our weather is so darn mild it's unbelievable for the month of February....and....i suppose, i could cover everything with blankets if it does turn cold....bite my tongue. :D

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh heh heh...Well, I hope that it won't turn cold on you after you go and plant your seeds...but if you talk about it too much, it's bad luck. ;)

I can't get over the mildness of your weather--I can still remember that lovely avatar that you once had and I was so amazed at all the snow that it showed.
    Actually I could imagine that the avatar blown-up to a large size would make a wonderful pictrure to display.

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Loved your singing and loved your baby beans too.

9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you very much, GLENDA. You are so nice to say so. :)

BUNKIE--yes, that's the one. I found that such a dramatic foto and was tryly amazed by all that snow. I thought that you took that pic from JUST the right angle for maximum impression. Well done, you!

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

That's a beautiful shot, Bunkie. Is that where you live?

12. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

yes daisy! the barn is up the hill from our cabin. i took this pics from our porch. nothing but dirt there now...

13. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

just took these pics yesterday. can you believe, middle of February and not one flake of snow on the ground???!

goats walking toward the barn...(same place as the barn and snow)...

[​IMG]

greenhouse up and running and ready for transplants.....

[​IMG]

flats of onions...not brave enough to plant beans yet, sjoerd...but soon....

[​IMG]

fearless pete guarding the onions....

[​IMG]

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Oh that looks like a glorious wonderful place! Goats, Fearless Pete, onions.... That's a beautiful greenhouse too. What a strange winter. I hope you'll show us the same shot in Spring and Summer and Fall.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am pretty darn pleased to see your pics today, Bunkie. What a difference without the snow.
    Your greenhouse and work tble look ready for business.
    Your cat looks like he wants to help...somehow.
    Those onions look terrific. There is plenty of time for beans. I have only planted broadbeans (a cold weather sort), but the rest I will plant much later for setting out in the middle of May.

I'm with Daisy on wanting to more, periodic shots as the seasons change.