Beating The Whites...A Balance

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Feb 12, 2010.

1. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks you two! pete thanks you also! :D

i will keep the pics coming...still haven't found my camera, but hubby's lending me his. he's so sweet!

that's the first day the onions had some real sun. they germinated in our cabin loft and them go to the greenhouse. it's 29F right now with a thick frost outside. the 'babies' are all tucked up in reemay cloth, so should keep warm...no heat in the greenhouse.

i just saw the weather forecast for the next week, and have decided to plant the Aquadulce broad beans today...in the root-trainers. and i'm going to start more greens and lettuces and cole crops and and and ....

2. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I think your barn and green house is in a great place and so inviting.I love goats or sheep.

3. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Beating the whites

Sjoerd, perhaps you missed your calling? Can it be you are the new BB King?
    I am envious of your sweet, little plants. I have only made a list of seeds to order from SeedSavers. Guess I should get crackin, aye?
    We have snow on the ground, but today's temps and sunshine have begun the melt. However, I am not setting out tomatoes yet. The groundhog saw his shadow, so Spring is yet to come.
    With your advice, I was able to grow beautiful potatoes last year. We just ate the last of the results of one, short row. Best potatoes I ever tasted. My aim, this year, is to grow scrumptious onions, and plenty of them. Your best advice, please!

4. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

thanks for sharing...I can smell the dirt from here!!!

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

BUNKIE, you've got those 'babies' well under cointrol.
    I just LURVE your enthusiasm, with your "and, and, and..." it's infectuous.
    I have gotten more soil now and the second wave of Aquadulce's will be planted sat. or sun. I am going to begin setting them outside during the day next week, I hope. I have them sitting in front of an open window now.

Hello there, G'pains! It is so good to see you. It has been too long.
    The new B.B. King...Woah! I'm not good enough to carry the man's bags. Hahaha...but thanks anyway--that remark made me smile.
    The marigolds and broadbeans are doing well--not progressing too rapidly, thank goodness.
    I haven't dstarted any toms yet either, I will probably wait until march (I must check my black book).
    Tja! I am so glad that your spuds did well for you last year. If you are just finishing now, your harvest from that single row must have been supurb.

As for onions-- I can tell you that me and growing onions has been a difficult road--some years I do not grow them at all. One problem is that I have white fungus in my soil--it will not go away in my lifetime, so I have had to develop some drastic measures.
    I took a second garden a couple of years ago ( three this january), and it was in terrible condition so what I have done is to add thick layers of compost each year, mixed-in some cow manure and grew green manure over the whole plot. I also minimally till my spoil and cover it the whole winter with things like borrage plants and corn stalks, etc.
    After a couple years now the level of soil has risen dramatiucally and so the soil that the onions grow in is like "new soil", in the sense that it is all on top of that infected lower layer of soil. I can tell you that last season I had the best harvest ever and with nice, big onions--like, the size of navel oranges. I was tickled pink, I tell you. I still have some hanging on the back balcony.

If you don't mind I will post a thread called, "Growing Onions" on the Gardening Forum-- it would be off-subject here and Frank would give my wrists a tap. :) You understand, don't you?

6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

sjoerd, look at what i just found out about Fava Bean leaves...

Fava leaves the latest green to showcase spring

http://www.seattlepi.com/food/405639_fava28.html

YOU CAN EAT THEM!!! :D

mine are quite large now, so am going to try tonight...if you see any posts from me for awhile... :D

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That was an interesting article. I noticed that they were talking about eating them raw as well as cooked lightly. I may have to try that this spring.

Thanks for this news...that was a good find, Bunkie. :)