Bees/Wasps/Hornets in my birdhouses

Discussion in 'Bird' started by AAnightowl, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Kate,..it may not be my friend that you read about though its possible,..it happens here and elsewhere most years,..i guess many people don't think they will come across a Wasps Nest and most wouldn't know what one looks like,..they land on my arms while in the garden but i just remain still and after a spell they fly away,..if i was to startle them or swat at them that's when most people get stung,

2. kate

kate In Flower

I remember the one case Philip but thought it was just one most unusual case.
    I no longer mow my own lawns but still spend time walking accross it to get to the other border.
    Gardner is terrified of flying insects, to find and disturb a wasp nest would destroy him...totally....:smt043:smt043
    He and his partner are worse on flying Ant Day.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Kate,..its just as well that Gardner and his partner are terrified of flying insects,..its far better than my cats and Molly the dog,..the cats jump and catch Bees and Wasps then poke at them how they escape being stung is beyond me,..while i don't mind them doing the same with Flies its Molly the dog that worries me,..she snaps at Flies,..catches them in her mouth and several times i spotted her trying the same act with a Bee or Wasp,..i can see myself rushing her to the Vet some day:sete_046:

4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Wasps were here with a vengeance last summer and wish I'd of known about peppermint oil etc. then. Took down a few mud nests over the winter. Not so bad this year but they are starting to hang about my hummingbird feeders. Will have to try the peppermint idea.

Advertisement
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I love the smell of peppermint! It smells lovely to me. But getting hold of anything more than small amounts, is rather difficult and pricey around here.

Starter fluid stinks something awful, but it is cheap at least... and easy to come by.

I plan to get some the first of the month.