Beware...Invasive plants

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by gfreiherr, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Burwell

Burwell New Seed

Alstromaeria.mentioned by another poster is one that I have not yet succeeded in getting rid of although there are certain varieties that I do like more than the particular one that persists in my garden...I foolishly thought that just pulling it up before it flowered would do the trick but no...I have gone down more than the depth of the spade..but I am sure that if a miniscule piece is left than it will show in the next season ...what really makes me reach for the drinks bottle is when it appears through the middle of a more prized specimen...BUT I guess there are more things in this world the worry about.

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ligustrum! Makes a nice shrub with purple berries, which the birds eat and plant all over the place! When we moved here I brought two pallets of potted plants, and I examined each and every pot to make sure there was no ligustrum in them. So far the farm is ligustrum-free, but I still keep an eye out for it (birds, you know, will plant anything!).

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I have a friend that has waged war on the Chameleon plant. :D Such a pretty thing, who knew?? Anybody ever planted Bouncing Bet? She is a bouncing invasive for sure.
    Then there was the "Eggs and Butter" that spread all over...
    I once had Morning Glories all over my vegetable garden.
    One thing I always tell my customers, If you want a ground cover, be advised that that is what they will do!!

4. Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn Seedling

The only one I have to add is mint!!! I planted quite a bit of it and now I hate it!!!

Advertisement
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Ya I am fighting a lot of the same weeds here. :scheming: One plant I thought would be a great addition to my front shade garden 2 years ago was Sweet Woodruff. There is nothing sweet about it :-x I am still pulling it out of my garden as it spreads with root like runners under the soil and try's to take over. Also after it blooms it gets small ball like seed pods that have picky hairs on them. They stick to everything and anything that gets in contact with them. My little fuzzy haired dog Tootsie happened to walk threw them before I knew they were so bad. When she came out of the garden I couldn't believe my :eek: . She had hundreds of those little green balls all over her.
    I also made another mistake and planted Ajuga last year. Now it is everywhere in the back flower garden. I'm going to see if spraying vinegar on it will kill it. :( I sure hope so.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Tooty, I don't have that problem with my sweet woodruff. Any disturbance at all and it seems to kill it. and no seeds seem to form on mine either. But the Ajuga...Oh my!!!Can't get rid of it!

Crown Vetch is awful to get rid of. My In-laws planted it to control erosion or just cover the slope we built on... ( like 35 years ago)and it is impossible to get rid of also. it keeps growing in my vinca bed. :scheming:

7. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Oops, I forgot one: Jerusalem Artichoke. Very pretty, quite tasty but boy do they take over your garden! :eek:

8. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Someone mentioned Vinca. I bought a very nice variagated leaf one with a pretty blue flower. What a mistake that was :eek: it has not only taken over the bed I planted it in, has gone up my conifer trees and spread through to my neighbour's garden. Needless to say I am going to have to remove it all and plant something a little less invasive.
    I also saw a lovely red Persicaria in a local place called Gardens of the Rose which was absolutely covered in bees. I looked around and purchased one, but I am glad that I planted it in a large container as this too I understand can be very invasive.

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Silver dollar -- grrr.
    Took me years of pulling to get it under control.

10. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Silver dollar -- grrr.
    Took me years of pulling to get it under control.

11. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor