Bird Pics.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Sydney Smith, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

You've got a lovely photo of the male. Love the throat feathers. I've got Rufus hummingbirds here right now too. I think they tend to bully the Anna's but I have enough feeders out in different corners of the yard that everybody should have "space" - BUT - they tend to fight and buzz and cheep at each other anyway.

2. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. No pics but a little Birdy story - a very clever Robin. I was surprised to see this happening - perhaps others have seen it.
    I have mentioned at our first property we had a small river flowing past a fields width away - further along a bigger river joined it and where they met three corners were formed making a biggish area of water.
    Sometimes they flooded which brought water levels up to bank top and the two meeting currents formed a nice calm area of water to one side which the fish loved to get into - be about 4 feet deep.
    I was fishing this calm area (left corner) and on the right corner a Robin appeared on a fencepost and sat there. The river was running high and quite fast but that bird from time to time swooped down to the water and plucked something from the surface - once quite a sized piece of bread - then back to the post to eat it. Cannot now remember if it used its beak or feet to pick up but think beak - either way it was very skilfully done and a pleasure to watch. I never cease to be amazed at Ma Nature and her wonderful family - we must help them all we can.
    This is just for interest.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  3. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I occasionally wander along the river on Thursdays while my wife does the weekly shop. I am just longing to see a Kingfisher but so far, no luck. The only bird of interest today was a female Mallard with just a solitary duckling. I only had a short lens on camera, so a big crop and poor quality.
    DSC_0017a.jpg

The river was looking pretty which made up for the lack of subjects.
    DSC_0004.JPG

eileen likes this.
  4. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Don't we all love the Ducklings.

Advertisement
  5. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

We have a lot of Canada geese young ones.

Canada geese families.jpg

eileen likes this.
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

2008_01050064.JPG

61023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2016
  7. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

I find the dipper rather hard to get a decent picture of, always diving when you do find one. Managed a few shots of one today and thought it might be good to share it with you.

01 dippe.jpg

Islandlife and eileen like this.
  8. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Collared doves are at risk in my backyard. These were a few years ago and about a year apart but this hawk plucked and partially dismembered the dove before flying off with the remains of the carcass.
    20120419 Sparrow Hawk kills Collared Dove.jpg 20111127 Sparrow Hawk kills collared dove-2.jpg

eileen likes this.
  9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have sparrow hawks that do exactly the same here. A bit gruesome to watch but they have to eat too and at least they kill quickly.

10. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Interesting photos - I think hawks definitely fly at super speed and kill quite quickly.