Brrrrr! :(

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ronni--I hope you don't lose beloved plants. I suspect those temps are out side the norm for your area. I know you are not wild about snow, but it might help protect some of your more vulnerable plants. Let's hope for warmer weather soon!

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ronni, in all seriousness...I would recommend you go out there and find a parking lot to practice in, stopping, sliding, turning etc. see how your car handles. That will give you a much needed boost of confidence on being on the road in the snowy weather. AND make sure you have good tires. That is a must on snowy roads. Poor tread is a death sentence in getting to where you are going. My neighbor has a Subaru and says she will never again own anything but one. They are 4 wheel drive and their traction is fabulous. She does a lot of driving and has an awful driveway (I know because we plow it for her) in the winter time. Just be safe, no matter what you chose to do.

TheBip and Droopy like this.
  3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

My family owns 3 Subarus & we swear by them. Our daughter recently got a good deal on a used Malibu & it isn't near so good in the ice & snow.

Droopy likes this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Well, there's not as much snow as predicted. But the ice is bad. :( And the temperature right now is 7 degrees, with wind chills recorded between -15 and -20.

I could probably make it to work. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should venture out.

A couple of photos from last night, right after it started to snow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Droopy likes this.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ronni, call ahead to see if they really need you or are even open today. Ice is 10x worse than snow to be on. Is there a road emergency or ban for being out on them? If they (the road dept) don't salt the roads and sidewalks (and at 7 degrees it may not even melt) you will be in danger being out in those conditions. Do you have studs in your tires? If you go...BE CAREFUL.

6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Subarus were the vehicle of choice in the mountains of New Mexico when I lived there. I probably owned 4 of them. Once I had to use the Subaru to clear a path so I could get my big ol' 4 wheel drive Jeep Cherokee out of the driveway. :D

Ronni.... nice snow pictures. Getting to play with different settings on that new camera, huh?

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We didn't get the snow like was predicted, either., but it is cold. We decided to go out for breakfast this morning, when we left it was 12f. when we got home an hour later it was down to 8f already. It is getting colder...and colder. My husband said the outside thermometer says 0 right now....getting colder. getting colder...Caity just had an invitation to go skiing...uh huh! NO!

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

It was 6° when I left the house this morning. It's 10° now, at 2:30 in the afternoon. It's supposed to go down to 2° tonight, and get all the way up to 18° tomorrow. Wind chills are still driving the "feels like" temperatures down to the negative teens.

9. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Brrr. We're down to -11º, wind chill -32º o_O And I have to work tonight -_-

*squee* I just saw a woodpecker at my bird feeder xD

10. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Tues. am and we are at -11 with about -36 wind chill.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It was really cold last night... here is the door dead bolt in the garage this morning. I have never seen this in all my life.

[​IMG]
    The door latch in the gararge over night on Jan 6 2014 ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

This is what it normally looks like (this is the one on the front door)
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

Droopy likes this.
  12. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Gee! Guys! Is it going to get better????? breaks were frozen

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yes, Barb...it is getting better...none of my chickens expired from the cold last night and tonight isn't supposed to be as cold. So, hopefully it will only get better after this weeks weather. This weekend is supposed o be much warmer than it is today. Did you get your brakes fixed?

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We haven't had the ghastly cold y'all have experienced, but it got down to 19 one night. We have heat lamps aimed at the hens' perches and a heat band on the big waterer, and all the ladies made it through the cold nights with no problem.
    I was told by another "chicken mama" that giving them scratch before they roost for the night helps them keep warm. It seems having scratch in their crops and slowly digesting it is warming. Perhaps that helped our hens, too.
    I hope this cold spell is almost over and we all get back to normal!

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane, your girls will be okay...even much colder than that, I do give mine a little grain in the late afternoon, but be careful doing that, too. I think that is how I ended up with that huge triple yolked egg.

Maypop likes this.