bunkie doings...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by bunkie, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am happy for you, Bunkie---you have waited a long time for it. You're almost there.

2. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    congrats on the new addition,..and great pictures as well,..Sammy looks lovely,..and great company for Lizzie,..and hey!!,..nice going with the eggs.

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks philip and sjoerd! sorry i haven't been posting many pics. a new pup really keeps one buzy! :D

hubby rigged up a basket type thingy with a long pole and gathered up all the duck eggs the girls haad been laying...and still are...in the pond yesterday. i have pics, just have to have him download. he didn't fall in the pond once...tho it looked pretty hairy a few times on duck poop hill!
    :D

sammy'e adjusting nicely and is much loved not only by lizzie, but by pete! pete adores him! they sleep within a foot of one another and give each othere 'nose-kisses' often!

pics at eleven, or soon! :D

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good to see you back, Bunkie. I know what you mean by, 'buzy".
    Your last posting has got me waiting for your piccie display, right on the edge of my chair.

Advertisement
  5. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Congrats on the new puppy. So glad that Lizzie & Sammie get along so well. I can appreciate all the extra time it takes with a puppy. My daughter has a 13 week old English golden retriever and I keep him when she is out of town for work...quite a handful. :rolleyes:

6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Cute puppy! I bet you're hard put to not spoil him rotten. So Pete's also adopted him? That cat of yours is really something else. :D

7. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

yes droopy, pete loves him!!! here's more pics...

fortunately, when they started laying eggs, they did it for a month plus in the pond...some still are...

[​IMG]

hubby rigged up this 'fancy' egg picker-upper to gather the eggs out of the pond...

[​IMG]

works great!

[​IMG]

and here's a plethora of what was gathered. none of them float, so they are all good. the ones that are cracked will be cooked up for critter food...pups and cats love duck eggs...

[​IMG]

one was even a double yolker...(the bacon didn't come with it, btw)...

[​IMG]

pete watching the ducks at a distance...and them watching him...

[​IMG]

sammy (center-right outside pen) loves to dig beside the duck pen and throw dirt at the ducks...they like it too...

[​IMG]

ducks watching sammy and lizzie playing (on top)...

[​IMG]

one of many of pete's favorite spots for 'hangin'' out...top of ducks' pen door...

[​IMG]

tuxedo posing outside of duck pen...he's not as fond of heights as pete is...

[​IMG]

"here kitty kitty kitty"...

[​IMG]

PEACE...

[​IMG]

pete has a 'crush' on sammie...

[​IMG]

lizzie doesn't feel like posing today...

[​IMG]

pete's such a big help on the farm. here he is helping sammy harness up for a walk/training...

[​IMG]

lizzie with her toy duck out on a walk...

[​IMG]

sammy and pete verses lizzie and toy duck...go...

[​IMG]

pete's tired and returns to duckpen door for a nap...

[​IMG]

hopefully the next batch of pics will have 'green' thingies in them...if the weather ever cooperates!

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    i enjoyed looking at those pictures,..very much!,..nice to see all those Duck eggs even though Hubby had to use his,.."Fancy Underwater Duck Egg Retriever,Working Model".
    You wont be able to use ALL your Duck eggs in the warmer weather,..you should preserve them,..it used to be in "Water glass Liquid",..though there is more likely something newer on the market.
    Pete is something else!,lol,..as is Sammy and Izzie,..Sammy will bring new life to Izzie,..though i expect at times too much,..poor Tuxedo,..not too great with heights.
    Well done Ducks with the double yokes,..very appealing with bacon,mmmmmm!.
    Thanks for sharing Bunkie,..a story in pictures.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

A great set of pics,Bunkie. Well, at last you can see the ground there. I have to say, that's a pretty unique way of harvesting eggs.
    It looks likethe dogs and cats provide lots of entertainment there.
    I hope that you will be able to start gardening soon.

10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Bunkie, great pictures! Now I understand 'finding duck eggs everywhere.' Great crew of helpers, especially Pete on his comfortable gate 'bed.'

Jerry

11. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks for the wonderful comments all!

yes jerry, pete's an all-around helper here. we always smile when he comes around.

yes sjoerd, it is really a unique way to harvest the eggs. i've been after hubby to purchase a couple pairs of waders for just such things, but, we never have gotten around to it! :D

yes philip, i've studied recently about preserving eggs in water glass. might try it this fall. for now, i freeze them to always have spares.

we finally go some sunshine today...looks like we might get above 50F, woohoo!:D

our peach trees and willows are starting to bud. watching the temps. don't want to lose any peaches to frost this year like we did last. they're dwarfs, so we'll wrap them! :D

we're getting 8 duck eggs a day now. somebody's still holding out...or they're taking turns! :D

ground temps are still too cold to plant anything...yet!

12. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

woohoo! we hit 55F yesterday in the sun!

hubby got the fans running in the greenhouse and we now have water availble in there. even tho it's still very frosty at night, and all plant babies need to be covered, it's starting to feel like spring! :D

13. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

whelp, still have lots of plants in the greenhouse. most are surviving being sat upon by pete! still cold nights in the low 30's, so all are being covered with bllankies at nighttime.

pete's discovered deer. there were a few of them in the back 20 yestrday. lizzie took after them. sammy just stared, then ran home to the cabin! :D

the neighbor's long horns have been looking over our fences. sammy saw them for the first time the day before last. he barked a couple of times and they didn't move...so he ran home to the cabin!

he's only 5 months, so we gotta lot of training and teaching to do...yet! :D

14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    poor Sammy!,..its still all new to him,..at least he heads back to the cabin when confused or puzzled.
    So still plants in the greenhouse,..not too many i hope!,..you have it all there,..with the neighbor's Longhorns and the Deer,..plus your own poultry and animals,..busy..busy...busy people!.

15. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

poor sammy is right! everything now is 'no ducks', 'no goats', 'no this and that'. happens to every pup we get here on the farm! he likes to go down to the duck pen and stare at the ducks. the minute one moves he jumps all over the place and makes them scurry. he also likes to bark at the frogs in the other pond...constantly so it's irritting to our ears. hubby pouts a piece of pvc pipe in the pond and blows in it creating bubbles...then sammy runs away! he's just like a little kid!

yesterday hubby and friend culled the duck flock. we now have a few in the freezer and nine girls and three boys left who are enjoying more room in the pond and pen.

one girl built a small nest under the tarp over the straw. she's trying to get all the girls to lay there with a bit of success. we marked one egg we leave in the nest, and take all the others. so far so good, but i still think one girl's holding out on us?!

the plants are getting really big in the greenhouse, and it's getting full! the weather's starting to cooperate for outside planting of jerusaleem artichokes, fruit trees, etc..., but it's still a bit nip and tuck with cold temps, cold soil, and threats of thunder storms with possible hail...so...everyone remains happy in the greenhouse for a bit longer.

tuxedo still taunts sammy. when i make popcorn, i toss them both some and can get them a foot apart with noi hissing or barking. but, remove the popcorn and they're constantly at it. pete is still in love with sammy....and does keep him in line at times with his paws.

the cherry tree and crabapple tree are in bloom, finally. still waiting for the peach, apple and pear trees. the daffies bloomed two days ago! so late! more pics soon...