bunkie doings...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by bunkie, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It sounds like things are progressing there. Can you estimate when those plantlets may be planted outside?
    It is amazing how those duckies continue to produce eggs a-penty.

2. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    aha,..you had a cull!,..that's real life on the farm,..i used to hate the plucking,..the ducks in particular,..down up my nose and everywhere,..the hens were easy enough,..but culling Aylsbury ducks was tough,..i have strong hands and arms from rowing,..but not good enough to complete the act in one swift move jerk.

I gave a friend one of my hens plucked and cleaned out,..he and his wife didn't like the taste?,..they were so used to supermarket chickens they thought the free range meat was too strong?.

So one of your girls is holding out,..or hiding the eggs,..mine used to bury them anyplace they could,..lets hope your girl laying under the tarp learns the others to do so,..now that would save a lot of searching.

Oh its nice to know your weather is being more kind to you,..i hope you get everything outdoors before they get leggy,..which reminds me where are you and hubby going on holiday?.

Dont make poor Sammy a nervous wreck,..with don't,..and must not,..lol,..i know,..it must be done,..and he will get there in the end.

A late spring for you,..but everything seems to be ready soon for summer sun,..knock on wood.

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

'holiday' philip???! what's a 'holiday'? :D

sjoerd, even thos we've had a bit of sunshine and 60-ish weather, it looks like we're getting more cold come next week. barely 50F during the day and low 30's at night. i'm not sure when we'll get the plants in the ground. our daffies have just now blossomed, and the fruit trees are blooming today. so late.

i finally planteed corn, squash, cukes, beans, etc... in the greenhouse in soil blocks and paper pots. had to get them started. so far all's good in there. stuff will just keep going in the greenhouse warmth till we can put them outside.

pics at last...

snowing in May...

[​IMG]

finally some sun and tuxedo is checking it out...

[​IMG]

TPS in greenhouse last week appreciating the warmth...

[​IMG]

toms in greenhouse last week...everyone's hanging in there...

[​IMG]

pete's enjoying the sunshine too...

[​IMG]

sammy decides to go mole hunting...

[​IMG]

sammy realling getting into the hunt...

[​IMG]

sammy decides he needs to rest...

[​IMG]

sammy spots the ducks...

[​IMG]

sammy gets so excited when they run...

[​IMG]

now, sammy's ready to pick dandelions...

[​IMG]

"me, i'm not eating any, honest"...

[​IMG]

after picking dandelions, sammy needs another rest...

[​IMG]

louise and pete resting...this is why pete didn't pick dandelions with us...

[​IMG]

------------------

this morning we had a visitor...it's between our garden fence and our roadside fence...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jewell likes this.
  4. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

they're calling for snow at 3,000 feet tonight?! we're at 2750!!! yikes!!!

everything's nice and green in the greenhouse. i keep waiting for the weather to turn steady on, but it's not happening. aam planting spuds, asparagus and strawberries today. the garlic looks good outside that was planted last fall. the corn is about 3 inches high in flats in the greenhouse!!! and the blueberry plants in pots i the greenhouse that are waiting to be planted outside are loaded with huge blueberries!

hubby got the water running to the duck pond yesterday and all are happy splishing and splashing about!

pics at eleven...or soon! :D

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Wow!!!! snow for tonight....and I thought our weather was terrible, I think I'll keep ours, at least I don't have to cover the garden every night, bail it out maybe, but no blankets for us tonight. I hope you don't have anything out that is too tender. all your pictures are great to look at, also. Thanks for sharing.

6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    oh no,!!! not snow,..i know you need to get all those plants outside,..and soon,..i certainly hope the volcano ash keeps away from your location,..heaven knows where it will end up,..blowing away from Ireland,Scotland and England,..but heading off north of those locations.

So a Moose in your other post,..does Hubby do any shooting?,

Holiday,..er yes,..but who would look after your critters?,..and your crops?.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a surprize to see a moose! gad--I used to get those monsters wandering through my cabin's "yard" regularly during the winter.

Your greenhouse plantlets are looking superb--it won't be long now for you, will it?

The pets all seem happy as larks as well.

I got a lil chill when I saw those snowflakes. Burrrrrr. Don't you let that snow escape and blow over this way, whatever you do.

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

three to six inches in the passes today???! good grief charlie brown! :rolleyes:

sjoerd, we have a moose come through our acres every other year. the dogs won't go near them, they're so huge!

hey philip, that ash is good fertilizer, right?! :D

thanks carolyn! hopefully soon, maybe next week, i'll have pics of the plants in the gardens. weather's going to be brutally cold all week here.

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

A little ash perhaps!,..but not a blanket of the stuff,..preferably cool ash, :) not hot like Pompei.

Rather a small blanket of snow.

10. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

it's spring...sorta! hubby in bottom right hand corner hooking up duck pond water...happy ducks...

[​IMG]

sammy watching the ducks...in upper right hand corner...

[​IMG]

happy hummers...

[​IMG]

more happy hummers...

[​IMG]

tilled potato and sweet potato garden...pllanted yesterday...pics at eleven! :O)

[​IMG]

back two new gardens tilled. corn got planted in the left one today....and onions...

[​IMG]

big garden tilled too. goats taking a break in front from grazing...

[​IMG]

the beginnings of our root cellar...on the right...

[​IMG]

the orchard in bloom, finally...and the almost end of last year's woodpile...good thing spring decided to show up! and a lot of hubby's 'stuff, buckets and such...

[​IMG]

lilacs and the milkbarn/hubby's workshop...

[​IMG]

thelma with reddish horns from rubbing against the garden fence poles as we put them in the ground...

[​IMG]

yawning pete...and tux...

[​IMG]

muddy sammy...been hunting moles...he's a 'buzy bakson' (from rabbit in 'Tao of Pooh')...

[​IMG]

our garlic came through the winter beautifully. to the right, well mulched, we planted jeresalum artichokes...hubby tilling where we'll be planting beans...

[​IMG]

this is very interesting. last year our neighbor ran out of our usual wheat straw we mulch the gardens with, so we used his grass stray insead. the results are remarkable! hardly any weeds, whereas with the wheat straw the weeds would be pretty thick by now...course..hubby says it's just his excellent tillling skills...:O)...

[​IMG]

garlic and photogenic barn...

[​IMG]

whoa...time to do some mowing or rotate the goats! perennial wheat and rye to the upper left, and garlic on the upper right...

[​IMG]

closeup of our trial perennial wheat and ryes. ryes are on the left and wheat on the right. time to trim down some weeds in the aisles...

[​IMG]

i captured this 'sundog' early in the morning...

[​IMG]

a closeup....

[​IMG]

Droopy likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh me--it was great to see another selection of fotos ofyour farm and sundog....another pet? ;) cackle.

Thingsthere really have that nice, fresh green look. I am happy for you that the spring is finally arriving.

12. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Hi Bunkie! I sure enjoyed seeing your pics!!
    Love all your critters, looks like a fun place! ;)

13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    at last everything is looking lush green!,..ducks are flapping and cats are enjoying the sun,..not forgetting Hubby doing my favorite thing,..hosing!!...nice shot of the 'sundog'!,..i never came across one before.

14. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

yes phil, we have lots of them here. oh, we found a nest with 13, count 'em, thirteen duck eggs! so that's where they've been hiding them!!!

thanks kay! the critters are all characters here, usually of a funny kind.

hahaha sjoerd...i don't think a sundog can count as a pet... :D

here's a Hawk on top of pine tree...no sjoerd...not another pet... :D

[​IMG]

morning visitor...i was making coffee at 4 this morning and saw the ducks all lined up in a row staring at something outside their fence...it was a doe...kinda dark then to take pics, even the flash went off, but you can sort of see her in the middle of each pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

see her white tail as she leaves...near left side of pics...

[​IMG]

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cool sundog, Bunkie. I have never seen or heard of one. I must live a sheltered life. Actually, I do. I don't even own a TV anymore.