bunkie doings...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by bunkie, Aug 16, 2010.

1. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks sjoerd and philip! it is kinda like heaven on earth here! :D

catching up here...i'm readying to try some fall gardening this year...Kohlrabi, short season cabbage, baby (round parisienne) carrots, more lettuce (i have a summer type lettuce to try) and greens, broccoli, more radishes, so far. i'm sure i'll think of more and soon.... we're eating loads of radishes now. unheard of, having our first radish in july????! i'm readying to make some Rosie Red Radish Relish today!:D

both our new gardens are looking super. the tom plants are loaded with greenies waiting to ripen. i've got one row where the leaves are curled upward. no signs of disease, just weird curling. they have plenty of water...not too much. i think it might be the cold weather we've been having.

the corn's still a bit short, but looking good. i'm surprized they aren't all bent over with the strong winds we've been had.

the cukes are loaded with blossoms as are the summer squash plants and pepper plants. baby squashes soon to harvest, yum! some of the cabbages are starting to head. the beans are still taking their time.

the potatoes are coming along nicely. the other day we brought out the ones from last year in our basement and planted them...the ones with the long sprouts!:D

so far we've been picking rhubarb, cherries and strawberries. it's jam makin' time! will post more pics soon...looks like rain today...

2. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Beautiful photo Bunkie... Gorgeous place.

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    gosh you really are keeping up with the seasonal veggies and fruit in a big way,..i take it you market some?,..you mentioned Kohl Rabi,..i tried it a few times and while i liked the taste nobody else went for it,..mine were Green Vienna with a white flesh,..sort of nutty taste but tasty,..what surprised me and tempted me to grow some was how fast the seeds germinated,..here it was in 10 days,..very tempting.

Next year i hope to plow an area in the Victorian Estate and begin growing veg,..it was too late to start plowing when i was offered the plot and limited to mostly winter growing cabbage and end of summer growth,..touch wood for next year.

You have Radishes for eating in July,..ours would be August,..ah but the season changes??,..i have Cowslips flowering now,..which are a Spring flower?.

4. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

we love kohlrabi philip! we plant both the green and the purple.

it's supposed to be mid summer here, but we really haven't had any summer to speak of. maybe a couple days in the 80's but that's it. mainly 70's and low 50's and 40's at night. usually we have radishes by April and they go until mid June. like i mentioned, this year we had our first radish the first week of July! it's like our spring is lengthening by 2 months and our frost isn't coming on for an extra two months. seasons seem to be shifting here. i guess hubby and i need to start 'getting with' the changes!!! darn it! more 'winter thinking' and planning! :D

speaking of winter, (alwaays thinking ahead here), after reading how people have grown greens and such during the winter months in SNOW and cold, i want to try it this year. just amazing what others have accomplished...

http://subsistencepatternfoodgarden.blo ... eason.html

Advertisement
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Great link,..i bookmarked it,..i like the construction method for the tunnels,..easy enough to make from what is on hand with exception to the plastic and Piping.

I used to have squared covering with plastic,..where i grew Strawberries,Lettuce,onions and plants without height,..also most of my seedlings were started there,..i used to dismantle old wooden pallets,..construct a frame two foot high,..and four foot by four foot,..then make a frame slightly bigger just to cover the area,..the frame would then be covered with plastic,..held in place with whatever was on hand,..when the weather got warmer or the seedlings had established i would remove the plastic frame and replace it with a chicken wire covered frame,..the good thing was i could extend the area of growth by as many four foot frames as needed.

6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

i like that idea philip, but the 'square' configuration wouldn't work here cause of the snow! :D

7. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Great shot Bunkie...you have lots of wide open space out there!

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

that we do gail!!! :D

dug up most of the garlic yesterday, over 650 plants! now on to the curing...pics soon! :D

9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

some pics of garden number one...

cloudy morning...

[​IMG]

mowing...

[​IMG]

asparagus and violas...

[​IMG]

petunias and strawberries...

[​IMG]

zuchini...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rows of summer squash and toms...

[​IMG]

ronde de nice...

[​IMG]

tomatilloes...purple...

[​IMG]

verde...

[​IMG]

tomatoes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OSU Blue...

[​IMG]

Blueberry Tomato...

[​IMG]

rows of tomatoes...

[​IMG]

and tomatilloes...

[​IMG]

peppers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cayenne Pepper...

[​IMG]

barn, corn and peppers...

[​IMG]

corn rows...

[​IMG]

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Bunkie, How do you find time to even take pictures to share with us? You grow an enormous amount of everything. Do you hire help to harvest or do it all yourself? WOW!!!
    That blueberry tomato is ultra cool. I want those for next year. Where did you get them? Plants or seeds? cool!cool! cool!

11. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks carolyn! i had one helper for a day, the rest is me and hubby. and yup, it's a little bigger than i planned! i usually crowd plants and have tiny rows in between, but goofed this year with all the space! :D every year's an experiment, don't you know!

i got the Blueberry tom seeds from The Garden Patch, mail order, here in this state. out of two packets, only 3 seeds germinated! i will try and save seed for you if you want, this fall. course, me and saving seed with so many varieties, one never knows if they'll be true or not. :D

and now onto garden 2...

rows of beans and sunflowers...

[​IMG]

rows of sugar beets, beets, carrots and radishes...

[​IMG]

cukes, corn, beans...

[​IMG]

cukes,corn winter squash...

[​IMG]

more cukes...

[​IMG]

a cuke 'happening'...

[​IMG]

sweet potatoes and popcorn and more beans...

[​IMG]

San Michael Cabbage...

[​IMG]

Winter Squash and pumpkins...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mulching all the squashes and pumpkins...

[​IMG]

possible pumpkin contest winner 2011???...:D

[​IMG]

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That all looks really good, Bunkie. I can see that some things are still a bit smallish, but they ought to start really developing soon now don't you think?

Yeah Bunkie--it all looks REALLY good.

13. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks sjoerd!

i sure am hoping so. we still have a few days left in July and the whole month of August which usually has lots of heat...then into September with its warmth. it should be enough time.

we had the best garlic harvest ever this year...still have a bit more to dig up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Oh.. look at that garlic! That looks fantastic! Bunkie -- what are your blueberry tomatoes like? I've never heard of them! Your place looks amazing. BTW, I like that link about the grow tunnels in winter - I wouldn't be that ambitious but it gets me thinking about some way to keep myself in herbs and a few greens for the winter.... Enjoy your day Bunkie!

15. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

hey gail, thanks! i haven't tasted the Blueberry toms yet. i think, like the OSU Blue, they need to get a red blush on their bottoms to be ripe! :D will let you know soon.

you have a great day too maryann!