bunkie doings...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by bunkie, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    i really enjoyed looking through your drills and rows of veg,..what a lot!,..and great garlic into the bargain,..i would love watching that lot coming along from start,..that's a big part of the enjoyment of gardening,.. at any level,..of course there are plants and veg that you have which are new to me,..all the better to see when the time comes i will have a wider choice of sowing.

2. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks philip! it's not very timely, my pics. by the time i get them posted, the veggies have grown another 2 feet!!!:D

first zucchini of the year...

[​IMG]

more summer squash...

[​IMG]

first cukes...the bushes are loaded with them now...

[​IMG]

even tho they're pretty ugly, radishes in August are mighty tatsy! check out the radish on the far right...it is making two radish bulbs on its root!!!...

[​IMG]

this morning we had another moose sighting. it was running down our road very fast.

sammy spots a moose running down our road...

[​IMG]

the moose is a little to the left of center here...

[​IMG]

sammy (center) gets pete (bottom right) and tells him to 'run for the hills!'...

http://i53.tinypic.com/2rdxo8z.jpg

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh, what nice veg you have, Grandma!

Things are coming along there pretty well, I see. Another Moose sighting too. Do they bother your gardens at all...or do they keep well away?

I can remember when I was living a bit remote in a place called "North Pole, Alaska", moose would waltz through my yard regularly, up close to the house...like, just within a couple of meters. I could tell that the clothslines would irritate them. They would knock-over the bird feeders as well.
    Those pets of yours were wise to take to the hills, as moose can be quite dangerous, as you know.

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I like the run for the hills pic -- made me laugh. Looks like Sammy is saying "And I'm takin' my ball too! Run, Pete, run!" (That is a blue ball in the center, isn't it? Or are my eyes playing tricks?) Anyway, very cute.

Advertisement
  5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

no mary ann! it's hard to see (i was really rushing to catch this shot) but it's one of those marker things on a small post. it shows us where the ditch is when we back out of the drive! :D

yes sjoerd! the moose are quite dangerous. all the dogs we've had here won't go near them. they just walk right over our outer fences. we have 6-7 foot fences around the gardens, so they don't bother them. not sure if this is the same moose or not from before. never had so many sightings.

aand yes, the veggies are producing nicely now. the plants all got doubled plus in size and are loaaded with fruit. more pics soon.

6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

more pics... :D ......

tomato and squash getting really big...

[​IMG]

lots of zucs...

[​IMG]

yellow scallop squash...

[​IMG]

black cherry toms...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spahgetti squashes...

[​IMG]

rouge vif d'etampes

[​IMG]

lady godiva pumpkin/squash...

[​IMG]

peppers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

african dwarf cayenne...love these peppers...they are very small plants and are just loaaded with fruit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sammy up early and watching over the continuing mulching of the winter squashes...

[​IMG]

pete in the wheelbarrow, helping me with mulching the squashes...he's a little grumpy cause i got him outside before 6am...

[​IMG]

Jewell likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Bunkie--you're on a roll. Everything seems healthy there and you are no doubt well chuffed with the harvests. The peppers are looking particularly good to me. The courgettes and toms are looking quite nice as well.
    Your hired help seem to be taking it all in at their own pace. I can see that Pete had other things in mind for that hour of the day. ;)

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I do enjoy your posts Bunkie. Things looking good and all my favorites, too... Pete looks to be in need of some coffee...

9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks mary ann and sjoerd! the gardening is finally really taking shape and producing quite well.

not sure if the melons will make fruit yet...they're really struggling, but the toms...oh the toms! so juicy!

got some fresh dill yesterday and will be making a bunch of dill pickles. this is the third year in a row my dill has not made it. got to find a better spot for it next year...or maybe start it early in the greenhouse in paper pots. i have some tiny tiny plants in a pot in the greenhouse right now.

the beans are exploding in blossoms...hopefully lots of beans very soon!

a coyote was walking down our road this morning when the sun came up. he acted like he owned the place...sorry, no pics.

10. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

they're all around us yesterday...

UFOs...

[​IMG]

or lenticular clouds...

[​IMG]

or UFOs...

[​IMG]

or lenticular clouuds...

[​IMG]

or UFOs...

[​IMG]

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice clouds, Bunkie.

.....and there's that barn on the hill. I don'tknow why, but I find it so interesting-looking and photogenic. I shall never forget that first avatar of yours--it was special (to me anyway).

I wonder what was going on there with all of those "UFO's"?

12. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

hey sjoerd, you mean the pics of the barn in the snow?

i'm not sure what the UFOs were up to, but they were coming and going all day long! :D

usually, when those types of clouds appear, the Leenticular, it means a change in our weather pattern, like from cold to hot and vice versa. we are tomorrow, heading close to the upper 80's and lower 90's for all week long. all predictions look like we're going to have a hot summer in September.

more pics of our this and thats......

fresh tomatoes from the gardens...

[​IMG]

our farm is so abundant...another 'double' rooted radish...

[​IMG]

full moon...dead center...

[​IMG]

we made a new out pen for the ducks...they're checking it out this morning...lower center...

[​IMG]

canned fresh peaches and pickled garlic scapes...

[​IMG]

sammy nibbling on pete with my messy seed collection in the background...

[​IMG]

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good pics, Bunkie. Yes, I did mean the barn in the snow.
    Those radishes are amazing...and the tom collection is superb. Things there are looking good.
    Those canned and pickled goods look tastey.
    Those two in the last pic are so funny.
    Thanks for the update...I hope that it continues.
    --brace yourself for the heat.

14. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks sjoerd! so much coming on now, it's wonderful...

morning swim...happy duckies. they just got done molting for 5 plus weeks and are laying eggs again! happy us...i'm readying to freeze a bunch more eggs for the winter months...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Those are actually interesting piccies of the pond,, duck and ripples. The surroundings look good as well. Was it taken in the morning or late afternoon?
    It's good to hear that they are laying again.