bunkie doings...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by bunkie, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    sorry to see you still have snow,..but you are not the only one,..Stratsmom just reported six inches of snow fell in Oregon,..while here in Ireland its sureely Spring,..even the Trout Fishing Season has started,..so i am getting my fishing gear ready and the boat engine tuned up,..thinking BIG Trout of course.

Hubs has a nice load of logs on the tractor lets hope that will be the last time you need topping up,..and sunny days start soon.

2. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks philip! i see that Oregon got snow too on the news! will check out stratsmom's post!

it was 29F this morning, with another round of snow, close to 4 inches, and it's still snowing!

that does it! i'm gonna test hop those snowshoes Santa gave us for Christmas! pics at noon! :D

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

4AM this morning...tractor in snow storm...tractor on right...

[​IMG]

rocking chairs in snow...

[​IMG]

ducks in snowy pen...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and sammy watching them...

[​IMG]

4. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

very cold :-D :-D

Advertisement
  5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I feel guilty... our lows will now be in the 60s and highs in the low 80F.

6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    you sure are an early riser,..with the weather you are having i imagine i would sleep in for an extra hour or two,..but knowing just some of the chores you and Hubs perform in the morning i think sleeping in would be out of the question.

Yesterday we had temperatures up to 18C,..66F,..pretty warm for this early in spring however as we are in the midlands it tends to be milder than elsewhere,..working in the garden yesterday i built up a sweat,..and enjoyed that luxury, :rolleyes: .

7. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

wow you guys and gals, those temps are amazing!!! at least we had no snow last night, but, it was 24F this morning!!! heavy frost! on the bright side, we might hit 50 this sunday...doing a 'happy dance'! :D

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

we had sunshine and hit 55F yesterday!!! woohoo!!!

but...today we're having pouring rain and are a chilly 38! oh well, the duckies are happy! :D

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Bunkie , I would want to move. this sounds like here last year...what a depressing pattern we were in. I hope your weather changes for the better SOON! Tonight there is a freeze warning out. Wowwwwww! it hasn't been that cold in over a month here, I think. The blossoms on a lot of the trees are out. Hopefully the apples trees and the other fruit crops are ok after this crazy weather we have been having. We need to mow the grass already.

10. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Hey carolyn, it's gonna change soon...i feel it...then again... :D

we used to plant in March, sometimes february, but now things are so irradic. just keep planting in the greenhouse and cross our fingers aand toes! :D

here's what we do when the weather's too cold to work in the gardens...a small, tiny, miniscule peek...

lettuce mixes, radishes, spinach, extra dwarf bok choy, etc...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jewell and Theodoros like this.
  11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    not to fret it will change soon,..but it surely is dragging its heels about having to leave the winter season,..nice to see you can pass the time doing things undercover in preparation for spring.

12. blissful photons

blissful photons In Flower

Gosh Darn. Now I remember why I don't grow vegetables. That looks like way too much work for me. How many people maintain that veg garden? You know what though? Farmers, and gardeners like you, are actually way up there on the list of the most important people on this incredible planet. PRODUCERS OF FOOD.

13. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks bp! it's just hubby and me who are the caretakers. hubs pretty much keeps the irrigation system going and moves the bales of mulch for me. i do most of the rest.

righto philip about keeping buzy till spring. there's alwys something to do here...and my latest...is eggs!!!

my girl ducks have been laying every single day, (seven lay in one nest, and one girl lays her egg in the pond so hubby can 'go fishing' every day!). i've gotten dozens of eggs in the fridge. really getting buried in them. it's too early to start freezing them, so hubs came up with the idea of dehydrating them!

i googled around and have 4 and a half dozen drying right now! i scrambled them first. i have another 4 plus dozen to do later today.

what fun! my own dried eggs! anyone else try this?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    you never cease to amaze me,..Dried Eggs,..well done you,..i never thought to dry mine,..waterglass yes and freeze,..now you will eventually get to a stage where you have too many stored in one manner or another,..sooo how about getting a Bantham Hen and have her sit on some duck eggs,..hoping the eggs are fertile of course,..then you will have the potential to have Roast Duck and Orange Sauce.

15. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

philip, we're thinking of maybe hatching a few babies next year. we're still trying to work out the kinks in the cabin area and silt in the pond problems. :D

they're being so good this year. they hven't been broody at all, and come in at night when i call them.

look out world! today i'm going to experiment with ROASTING eggs!!!:D

i'm hoping they peel better than boiling, for pickled eggs...

Roasted Eggs

http://realfoodforager.com/recipe-roasted-eggs/