bunkie doings...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by bunkie, Aug 16, 2010.

1. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

2. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thanks Bunkie I enjoyed the pics.

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    i never tried the baked eggs even though i had an Aga Cooker at one stage,..should be interesting,..do you have to make a small hole in the egg,..to let the heat out.

I sometimes boil eggs in the Microwave Oven,..VERY fast cooking,..but it means removing the egg and putting it in an egg shaped cone with its own egg cup and with holes to allow the heat out,..of course adding a dob of butter as well,..very nice,..but not as nice as when boiled in the shell.

Should be interesting to start a duck family,..but as you mentioned sorting out the silt on the bottom of the pond is a priority as more ducks means more silt,..how about a second pond,..so when one is being cleaned out they use the other,..good fertilizer mix i would say.

4. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

philip, the silt problem was the runoff from the snow...dragged a lot of sand down the hill to the pond. hubs is thinking of aa second one...not sure yet. he had a semi one in the first outdoor pen, and guess what? it filled up too this winter!

we don't own a mircrowave philip, but the roasting came out great, delish! you don't have to poke any holes in them, too.

thanks donna! glad you enjoyed them!

we've got pouring rain today, so will be roasting, boiling, pickling and dehydrating more eggs! :D

Advertisement
  5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

whelp, the good news is, the roasted eggs, four, didn't explode and they tasted great. but, they were awful to peel. could be becuse i useed fresh ones.

anyway, i just found this and am going to give it a try. looks easier, and safer...the roasted eggs didn't peel any better than the boiled eggs. i am now letting the eggs get 3 weeks old before i try boiling again. but...i just found this method to try in the oven. instean of on a rack open, putting then in muffin tins! alrightee! gonna try this!

Baked Hard-Cooked Eggs

www.homesteadingsurvivalism.com

For anyone that may not know, the BEST way to make "hard-boiled" eggs is in the OVEN! Place the eggs in a muffin tray so they do not move around, turn the oven to 325 degrees, pop in for about 25-30 minutes and remove! Not only are they tastier, but they also are much easier to peel!

this morning, the geese flew over the cabin heading NORTH! i think spring may be just about here, even with the last two nights of frost. and, the geese circled the ducks' pond before they left! :D

oh, and the hummers arrived three days ago!

Jewell and Philip Nulty like this.
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    exploding eggs,..lol,..they would be tastier when you think that egg shells are porous and despite having the membrane inside the shell when being boiled i bet lots of water still gets through,..no water inside baked eggs for sure.

I will be watching to see your results of baked eggs a-la-muffin-tin.

Sooo the Geese flew over your place heading North,..reminds me right away about the film "Jeremiah Johnson",..with Robert Redford,..that was the main indication of season change.

3:14 Watch Later Error

Its looking good for you,..the Hummers arrival,..our Swallows arrived this week.

7. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

loved that movie philip! i think of the one where the guy built a little plane to fly with the geese he and his daughter had hatched to their migration place.

the baked eggs came out wonderfully and peeled really nicely....better than the boiled ones!!! i baked, peeled and pickled 48 the other day, and have more to do today!

we had a chinese pheasant standing out by our driveway gate this morning! i tried to get some pics of him.

and, yesterday morning, we had a canadian goose sitting on our barn roof! got some pics there too i'll post later.

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,
    yes i remember that film,..amazing to see those geese follow the aircraft,..it was a very interesting and enjoyable film.

The link below shows Geese in flight with some spectacular scenery.

Vodeo===Geese In Flight.

You made me hungry mentioning the baked eggs,..i will have to get myself something filling shortly,..you pickeled 48 eggs,..if you get snowed in you will be comfortable food wise anyway.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures when you get the time.

9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

great video philip! thanks!

the gardens are finally getting seeded, transplants soon to go out. not much to see but dirt and critters here...

finally, first purple asparagus...

[​IMG]

solar cooking fresh broccoli...

[​IMG]

sammy and pete resting...

[​IMG]

hungarian pheasant by driveway gate...

[​IMG]

canadian geese on barn roof...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

equal opportunity players playing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh Yum! purple asparagus is my favorite. the green just doesn't measure up, does it? Is your weather a little behind? or is this the normal time of year to see the asparagus and get the transplants out? When is your last frost date?

11. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

my favorite asparagus too carolyn! and the purple color has anti-oxidents!

we're late this year again. not sure why, tho it might be climate changes. i remember putting transplants out in March!!!

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Purple Asparagus,..oh i can almost taste it,..lovely stuff.

Sammy has matured,..looking at him sitting there with Pete,..though i expect he still has a few moments of madness,lol.

Gosh Bunkie you sure do get a lot of interesting wildlife visitors,..between the Canadian Geese and the Hungarian Pheasant,..and all the othwer critters.

13. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Bunkie, I wanted to show you our neighbor's cat! I think your Pete is just about as cute as he can be~ those orange cats must all have personality!!!

[​IMG]
    What a handsome fella ( photo / image / picture from stratsmom's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Hyatt the wonder cat! ( photo / image / picture from stratsmom's Garden )

This is Hyatt. He is one amazing cat! As you can see here he is posing for my camera :D When I saw Pete and all of his antics I immediately thought of Hyatt but it took me this long to get his photo posted! :rolleyes:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

great pics stratsmom! hyatt does look exactly like pete, and appears to iike hamming it up in front of the camera like pete!!!

he even seems to have a kind of disjointed body like pete! our vetenarian couldn't believe how long pete was!!! :D

15. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

hold onto your hats everyone! i'm now going to try dehydrating hamburger!!! we got our frozen half a beef, and i do can some of it, but to have some dry too would be great! pics at eleven...soon! :D

Hamburger Rocks or Dehydrated Hamburger!

http://pamspride.blogspot.com/2011/04/h ... urger.html