bunkie doings...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by bunkie, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great posting, Bunkey!
    Gad, all that veg. It looks like a grand harvest this fall. Is winter on the way there yet? Was there a fire there to cause the smokey sky?
    Good hearing from you again.

2. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

good to see you again sjoerd!

the smoke was from fires many miles away from us in central/west state. when the wind blew towards us, the smoke got every thick here.

winter's not here yet, but nipping at our heels. we still have lots of sinter stuff to get in the ground, bulbs, barerooted blueberries, etc... also lots of apples and pears to pick, so we are appreciating the delay!

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Bunkie,
    I am glad to see you and your new pics, too.
    Are those tomatoes that are large and green shouldered the OSU Blue? I was able to get two nice toms from my plant this fall and they looked similar to that, not real blue, but more of a rose with green shoulders.
    How did the other new blue variety do for you? I saw a new one on a site from New Mexico and it looked like concord grapes in the picture. :eek: I still may order them, but they were a little more expensive than any other seeds I have bought so far but they were really cool looking.

The potatoes are also a spectacular variety of colors, too. Were they as tasty as they were pretty?. I did grow some blue fingerlings this year and I think they are dry. I am not really sure how to use them since they don't really hold up to handling after they are cooked. They need lots of butter and salt.

4. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

hey carolyn, the OSU Blue are pure blue/dark purple and are ripe when their bottoms turn red...no green shoulders. don't think there ar any in that pics. i'll have to send you more seed aafter the holidays. they were the first to rpien of all our varieties ther laast two years.

the new variety, Indigo Rose, i think it was, was loaded early with deep blue/purple toms of a smallish size and NEVER ripened...well, just two did...before it by frost. very disappointing waiting for them to ripen all summer long! never got a real taste of them.

the potatoes were many different varieties, some were fingerlings but those aren't pictured there. and yes, they were really tasty!!! there are all different types of fingerlings, like potatoes. some hold up under cooking and others fall apart like you mentioned. those might be good for baking. i haven't seen any blue fingerlings. do you remember the nme of them?

pictures of 'snow' coming very soon...we're getting wallupped!!!

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Bunkie, I just saw the variety of blue fingerlings in a catalog on the 'net the other day, but I am having trouble finding which one it was to tell you what the variety it is. But the description did say it is the mealiest of all the fingerlings and is great for baking and frying. I would not agree to that. It is so dry it needs to be drowning in butter.
    If I find it again I will let you know.

I ordered a variety of tomato called bosque blue this year. It is a cherry and I am anxious for spring now. I can hardly believe it will be just a couple more weeks before I start tomatoes again for the high tunnel. If you want a couple seeds pm me I'll send them to you. I only ordered a small packet just to try them. So I won't need all of them to plant nor will I grow them to sell them as plants to anyone. Or if you are interested in the site it is http://www.JandLgardens.com

6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

mmmm..."...drowning in butter..." :D

looks like a neat site there carolyn! yes, i'll pm you for a couple of those seeds. will send you more of the OSU Blue too.

it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas here...starting to snow again...cold coming in, too...time to freshen up everyone's beds for the cold coming in...lizzie in between the snowflakes...

[​IMG]

sammy watching his 'flock'...

[​IMG]

ducks discovering fresh bed of hay in their cabin...noisy appreciation...

[​IMG]

pete patiently waiting for me to bring the wheelbarrow around...

[​IMG]

pete yawning, very bored...'let's get this show on the road'...

[​IMG]

pete loves to ride in the wheelbarrow...

[​IMG]

thelma's not impressed with the new bedding in their cabin...but...

[​IMG]

Louise is ecstatic...

[​IMG]

sammy checking out the apple trees...apples still aren't falling off by themselves. this is the third year they've done this. we have to knock them off the branches in the fall for a few bushels for keeping...actually, sammy's looking for the deer that come in at night to look for fallen apples...

[​IMG]

kidz waiting in the snow...for a ...

[​IMG]

last run to the barn in the snow...

[​IMG]

every single animal on the farm, including the ducks, always has one of their feet on my boots, no matter where i go...this one here is pete's...

[​IMG]

7. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Great pic's bunkie

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good to see the cats, dogs, ducks and goats again.
    I like them, but I REALLY like the views of your property. I find it pretty idyllic-looking.

I don't think that I've ever seen a pic of your barn on the hill that I didn't like.

9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks all!

the barn and all are covered in snow this morning...about 4 inches. here we go...another storm coming in tonight!

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

So far, we have not had any snow yet. YAHOO! rain, but no snow. I keep saying I want to move south, but whatever for? the south is moving up here evidently.

11. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

it is moving up here too carolyn! we got a late start, but it's making up for it...another 8 plus inches of snow last night!

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh not here, Bunkie....it is warmish. There was no ice in the chicken waterer yesterday or today or it looks like even tomorrow. Sounds like in the 40's all week long. Yep, it works for me. The 8" of snow....not for me. I am hoping even for Christmas there is no snow. Makes me sound kind of like a grinch, it is pretty, but the cold is getting harder and harder on my fingers every year.

13. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

that's why i knit mittens and gloves for us here carolyn!!! :D

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL!!!

sun on mountains for Christmas Eve...haven't seen the sun for weeks now...

[​IMG]

ducks on christmas eve...

[​IMG]

christmas deer...sammy's buddies...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

liz says this stuff is deep...

[​IMG]

sammy says it's just right...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

grumble grumble grumble...plowing around greenhouse...

[​IMG]

let the games begin...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pete's asking if he missed anything...sammy's waiting for santa...

[​IMG]

Frank, Jewell and Philip Nulty like this.
  14. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Merry Merry Christmas! :-D

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh MY Bunkie! Snow and more snow. We are under a blizzard warning now. Did you send it this way?