bunkie doings...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by bunkie, Aug 16, 2010.

1. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Yes sjoerd! We have lots of those Flash Mobs showing up heree in the states all over.

The Favas are doing swell in the root trainers, but I need to get them in the ground soon. We've been having wicked winds and a hard frost is coming up tomorrow night, so planting outside is slow. Pics coming soon!

Hey sjoerd, or anyone, have you heard of Faba Beans? I ordered some from a company here. Everyone I've mentioned them to say they are actually Fava Beans. It's something to do with spelling in other cultures?

http://www.backyardseedsavers.com/seed- ... -winter-2/

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Bunkie, here in they are called Fava beans. I think it is a pronunciation misspelling. In my Stokes catalog they are listed as broad/fava beans.

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,..i came across the video below,..you might find it interesting,..its a bit slow at the very start but i found it very interesting.

Video===Permaculture.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

carolyn likes this.
  4. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Oh wow Philip, is that Sepp Holzer? I am having trouble with my computer this morning. Will definitely check it out later. I have two of his books. He's a wonderful teacher!

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Philip. That was a great video. I usually don't watch video's but that was a great well spent 40 minutes worth of viewing (although it took me several hours to get through it between jobs)

6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,..yep that's the man,..Sepp Holza/Holzer,..great tip about growing the Pumkins being kept warm at night by growing them beside the boulder as the heat is retained in the boulder at night.

======================================================

Hi Carolyn,..glad you enjoyed that,..despite the back to work routine,..he had certainly improved the property by making those terraces and fish ponds,..cute pigs as well.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I can't even begin to imagine how many hours he has put into doing this. He started in 1962? after taking over the family farm. WOW! That an imagination to bring forth such an enterprise to such fruitfulness (literally). I don't have enough land to practice the animal husbandry to this extent. I have the chickens and for now that will be all. but never pigs. I am bamboozled as to how he can grow the lemons and limes. They are tropical fruit. At and average of 4.5c that is not warm enough to support this fruit? how? does anybody know? or is there some nitch here that is tropical? I can't even leave the lemon tree in the greenhouse unheated for the winter, it freezes out.

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Carolyn, it's all combined together. Like the rocks Philip mentioned keeping the pumpkins warm at night. You'd configure something similar to keep the citrus trees from freezing. I'd have to look up what he did for specifics in his book...I can't remember the technique now. It's such a fascinating way to do things. He teaches his methods all over the world. I am trying to apply some here.

The first book I read was 'The Rebel Farmer' where he writes about himself as a kid and how he experimenteed with the way things were not supposed to be.

It's a bit similar to Eliot Coleman's explanation in his book 'Four Season Harvest' where he talks about how people in Europe put their hoop houses or greenhouse, or coldframes against the side of buildings or walls. He explains that the plants can survive the cold, but it's the wind and downpours, snow, etc... that hurts them.

9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Uhoh...my camera broke...there's rumors that hubs and pete and the gang are getting me a new one for mom's day! :D

The fruit trees are in full blossom now, so beautiful!

Have a happy mom's day all!

Philip Nulty and carolyn like this.
  10. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

[​IMG]

Jewell likes this.
  11. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I grow Fava Beans every year and save some of them for growing. They are hard to find locally around my home. I love them. I grow them on one of my bean walls and dry them on the vine in the Fall. Works great for me..

12. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Great waretrop! I think I'll be growing them every year now, too. Got them transplaned into the garden the other day. Those root trainers are terrific...awesome roots on all the plants!

And...mom got a new camera for mom's day!!! Just a point and shoot dealy, but it works!

And, the 2013 gardening season begins...

[​IMG]

Cookies and baked oatmeal from last year's fruit for the tiller man...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hummers are back...

[​IMG]

Two in one...hawk on pole, and bird on treetop...

[​IMG]

Sammy watching over his duckies, who are building themselves a new pond...

[​IMG]

pete and sammy after a long day...

[​IMG]

Henry Johnson, Droopy, Jewell and 3 others like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Those baked goods have me drooling like mad, Bunkie. :drool:

14. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Haha Sjoerd! I haven't baked much with fruit in the past, but all this last winter I baked loads of cookies, cakes, pies and oatmeals loaded with our homegrown fruit...peaches, blackberries, plums, strawberries, etc... I tell you, they just melt in your mouth, and combining the different fruits was such a burst of flavor!

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bunkie,..nice to see Pete and Sammy relaxing together,..good shot of the bird and the Hawk i bet they were keeping an eye on each other.

Very appetizing baking,..my imagination is running riot as i think i can smell fresh cookies.