Calla Lilies not sprouting

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by gardennut, Feb 10, 2014.

1. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

ok cherylad, I will give them some more time.

2. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

I put them in the picture window since it is supposed to be sunny today, just one question, the sun does not seem to be able to get into the pot and get on the tubers, would a white piece of paper reflect some heat into the pot?

3. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

I found some potting soil in the back that I had emptied from another pot, it does not smell like a kitty has used it and I brought a bunch in to dry out. Will it hurt to plant somethng in the damp soil or should I dry it out? I have it next to the pellet stove to dry out and I can sift it when it gets drier. I was wondering if the calla lilies would like it better in that soil, what do you think cherylad?

4. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

I put some more potting soil on the callas because the one page says to put them 3 or 4 inches below the soil, it feels damp enough to me so I am not going to water it for awhile. The pots I am using are the green ones that you get when you get the amaryllis bulbs at Christmas. I filled the pot up to about 2 or 3 inches below the top rim.

Advertisement
  5. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

Just an update, one of the calla lilies is getting taller! It is late so tomorrow I will post a picture of it, I am so excited!

6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Wooohoooo! I'm excited for you

7. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

The soil around the calla lily sprout is pretty wet, it does not seem to be drying out any, does anyone know what I can do to get the soil to dry any faster, or should I buy some dry potting soil and repot it?

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Don't bother it. Maybe set it on a heating pad (on low) and/or set a fan blowing on it to help evaporate the moisture.

9. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

my little window garden

I decided to put all except the poinsetta and one of the amaryllis in the picture window, the one amaryllis is in front of the picture window but separated by a curtain. Going to try a experiment, I checked the one pot of calla lilies and one was rotten and the other was getting there, so I threw them away and saved the one that had a very small sprout on it.