Corn Plant

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Avi, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Avi

Avi New Seed

We had one heck of a snowfall this past weekend. Tons of trees downed and even more broken branches. It not a nice thing to see. Anyway....Here's the corn plant's flower as of today, Oct.31st. It's the only one flower-bract that's there...there were three of those last year when it bloomed. I doubt that there'll be any more this time. I don't think that it's fully developed even now, and the aroma isn't yet apparent....

[​IMG]

2. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That is awesome... I'm still in awe that corn plants even bloom!

3. Avi

Avi New Seed

Two weeks after my last posting...today's November 14th...and here's the still singular bloom bract....

[​IMG]

The aroma appeared just yesterday and it is amazing. I would liken it to the smell of gardenia or jasmine. And, it does fill the entire house. It isn't overwhelming, though, at least not to me. It might be to someone else.

cherylad likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

This is so cool. does it ever set seed?

Advertisement
  5. Avi

Avi New Seed

LOL...I wouldn't know whether it does or doesn't.

6. plantdream

plantdream New Seed

hi friends,iam a new member,i have seen your topic.one month back i bought a short draceana fragrance massangeana,i havent repotted it yet,still in the nursery pot[small sized pot]..watering and lighting status are well.still the leaf tip turning yellow..whats wrong with my care?what should i do?not overwatered,not in direct sun.when should i change the pot?a big size pot is needed when we changing the nursery pot?please help me..

7. Avi

Avi New Seed

I suggest that you repot your plant now. I could be wrong but I would guess that when you take your plant our of the pot that it's in now, you'll find that the roots are growing around and around and they are tight against the inside of the pot instead of growing in soil. If that is the case, loosen the roots but try not to rip them off when you do (don't worry if some of them are ripped of in the process.) Then plant it in a pot that's twice the size (or even more) of the one that it came in, using a good quality potting soil. Put about two inches of pepples on the bottom of the new pot before you fill the new pot with the plant's roots and soil. Once the roots are growing emersed in enough soil, I think you won't get the yellow tips that the leaves are showing now.

8. plantdream

plantdream New Seed

@Avi,thank you for the reply..i'll soon do that to save my plant..

9. Avi

Avi New Seed

Good luck with it. Also, the matter of watering once you've replanted the corn plant: I'd say that you should water the pot once the plant's in the new pot, allowing all the water to drain out through a drainage-hole that you should have in the bottom of it. Let it sit on a big dish or something like that which would collect the water that drains out. Empty that after an appropriate amount of time so the pot isn't sitting in water. Then, let the soil in the pot get just about dry and then water again. The plants soil should not be left dry for very long...even a few days...for the plant's benefit.