Do you do no till gardening?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by carolyn, Feb 22, 2013.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

That old hay is great to use for gardens. After a couple of years it starts breaking down on the outside but may be fine inside. It just loses protein to use for cattle. Still good for horses like mine that just need filler and are a bit oveweight anyway.

2. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Thanks Ms. Carolyn. I/we trash guys appreciate your appreciation. Did I say that right? Haven't had much to post about lately, but I do check in now and again.

Watch horse and cattle manures for herbicide residues. Some are persistent through the digestive tract and even the composting process. If you don't 'need' the proposed bed for production, just pile organic material up and sheet compost for this season. It will make next season that much easier to start.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Mart, Overweight horses are not an issue this direction this year....way too expensive to just feed extra this year...not at 10.00 a bale :smt119 :smt087 :smt088 :smt085 :smt090 :smt089 :frown:. these little faces say it all. I surely couldn't afford to feed a horse. I feel for the little people who hardly or don't even have enough to make ends meet between the hay prices and fuel prices. No one wants to feed another one even if the horse is free and you can't sell them at an auction...no one will buy them right now. A terrible waste to send a pedigreed horse for grade sales.

FBG, Thanks for the heads up on the pesticide application. I have heard about that and did check with the person last week and she called the supplier and specifically asked if the grass was sprayed and I was told no, it wasn't. So, I am hoping that all people were honest, especially the farmer. We are starting to get aged manure tomorrow and it is going where the corn will be this summer, so if there is any residue I am thinking it would be for broad leafed plants and not affect the corn. Are you thinking that would be right, too?

4. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thank you FBG.

I knew there was an herbicide being used, but did not know what or how it worked. That was helpful. I am going to pot up a tomato or two with what was put on the garden last Fall just to make sure. I know where the manure came from, but not the hay source...And since I have the greenhouse to work in I have plenty of time to make sure.

6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Whoa! Having to check out feed sources for animals that produce manure? That is adding a crinkle to any ideas I had about gardening and free sources of manure :rolleyes: Thanks for the post.

7. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Jewell, sorry to have tossed a spanner in the works. (a phrase just for my British readers) One of those herbicides is in the same group as what damaged the evergreens in your state. I'm still searching for information as to the half life of these new hormonal herbicides. Science at its best, I'm sure.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I had a dwarf stray unknown tomato just growing in a pot in the greenhouse so I gathered up a pot of enrichment from the Fall and repotted it...we will see what it does. I hope it just grows.
    I could be very wrong, but I am wondering if we just don't have farmers using this herbicide around here. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about this stunted growth or dying garden plants except for the warnings I have seen on a few gardening forums. :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

9. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

My fingers are crossed for you also Ms. Carolyn. I know we are all busy and have no spare time, yet, I would suggest you contact the OSU extension agent/service and voice your concerns about hormonal based herbicides, their longevity, and impact upon future use of agricultural property. The key here is that these products could have a significant impact upon future food production as a whole, not just to market gardeners and organic farms. Let us not forget flower gardeners either.

I apologize for having become so 'preachy'.

10. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Wow fbg, I had not heard about the evergreens here. (Jewell's in my state also)

Carolyn, great thread! We till, one swipe, over the garden areas still. I've been wanting to try the cardboard trick for weeds. Might do this year and will report. We do use straw mulch around the plans to keep moisture in and weeds down.

11. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

It wasn't just in your state Bunkie, just more prevalent there than elsewhere.