Do you watch gardening television programs?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by GardeninVanGogh, Nov 19, 2007.

1. bradytimes

bradytimes New Seed

GardeninVanGogh, I think your right. It's more relaxing watch people garden where's they don't have to fight with the elements.

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Actually a few years ago there was at least one TV gardening program aimed specifically at dry/arid areas. There was one about gardening in Texas where gardening conditions range from wetlands to extreme desert and this program covered those and all conditions between.

I seem to remember seeing one on gardening in New Mexico also.

Since they are both area specific, it is highly likely that they would not be broadcast outside of the area they were produced for and therefore not seen in other parts of this country and certainly not worldwide.

I do not have cable TV so the programs I am speaking of would have been broadcast by our PBS stations.

3. bradytimes

bradytimes New Seed

I agree with you Toni. It's interesting how gardening ideas and practices differ from area to area. I bought the Plant Encyclopedia book from the AHS and was surprised to find that almost all plants had low moisture requirements. In the book, the "water" indicator really means "how tolerant is the plant to moisture" which can be an issue in the Eastern US. In the West however, our challenge is finding plants that do well with little water, so this book wasn't to helpful in that regard. For those in the West and other dry areas, the Sunset garden books are much better.

4. GardeninVanGogh

GardeninVanGogh New Seed

These are worthy observations. They are also the reason why gardening programs of any subject, practices, regions and countries should be offered to all. I believe that horticulture requires a wide exposition to reach other people and to improve
    the notions, concepts of those practicing it seriously.

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Many area specific gardening programs are produced by small companies or as in the case of the Texas gardening program, by a state university. Being of purely local interest the TV networks see no reason for broadcasting them to a larger audience because the don't fit the definition of 'mass appeal'

Since gardening programs have all but disappeared from TV broadcast schedules, then obviously they did not garner the audience nor did that audience support the sponsors enough to make them profitable. Broadcast time sometimes goes to the newest fad...i.e. the flip it and home/personal makeover programs because those viewers have made them profitable.

Possibly writing to HGTV and the local networks requesting more gardening programs would show them that there is a large number of people who do still want those programs. Letting the wholesale plant providers, like Monrovia, etc, the ones who do sponsor gardening programs, know we want those programs back on air could also help.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi,

We watch the various weekly gardening programmes as well as the gardening specials offered by the BBC over in Great Britain. Sadly I have to admit that the Dutch shows really aren't very good--a pity really, considering that we have an agricultural tradition here.
    Anyway, in addition to the television shows that we can receive here, there is also a radio program called "Gardners'Question Time" which can be listened to on the BBC website gratis as well as on the radio, of course.
    For further entertainment we have received some excellent DVD's from our English friends: "The Victorian Kitchen Garden", which primarily deals with gardening practices (month by month) in the 1800's. Some of the techniques are still useable today...and a series done by Geoff Hamilton, arguably one of the best, if not THE best "Television Gardener" that G.B. produced in the 20th century. His down-to-earth manner of explaining really is a pleasure to watch.
    I believe that these two are still available on Amazon.

7. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

bbc

Did you ever watch the BBC channels ? They used to have one program on the evenings called"Your being Served" And a Mrs Bucket , she was pretty and fancy and so funny..

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ha ha ha... Yes, I have seen those shows. They have re-runs late at night sometimes now. I think one is on BBC4 and the other is on a Belgian channel.
    The BBC also has other shows that are interesting to me as well...like the nature shows,"Springwatch" and "Fallwatch", among others.
    Dutch television and radio providers offer a fair selection of international programs. Having said that, the BBCs seems to be the only international channels that air garden shows. They air one gardening show or another almost the entire year through. Gardening seems to be firmly "rooted" in their culture.

9. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

bbc.........i agree

Your correct on British and posies. My husband been there and told me how big they are on posies.
    Everyone has their ways.

British seem to prefer USA skiing.. slopes.

10. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I loved "mr.s bu-kay"! Reminded me of my mom in ways, lol!

11. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

critterp yes

Mrs Bu kay really made the show......Each person did.
    Next door neighbor, her brother in law.
    It was a Hoot.

12. digital flower

digital flower Seedling

I can't take Paul James. Too corny for me. I used to like Rebecca's Garden but I think that got canceled.

13. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

morning gardens

:D

I never watch tv in mornings..After christmas I think I will start..LOL

:stew2:

14. dover

dover New Seed

We have a couple of gardening shows here in Australia.
    The best by far is on the ABC, Gardening Australia they also have a magazine.
    There are other gardening shows where they do garden makeovers, not as good, but you watch what you can!

15. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

tv

I don't usually watch tv till 4 in the afternoon..
    Always up to something here.

Seems like the gardening shows are for the folks who want to spend money.