Elephant ear bulbs???

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by carolyn, Mar 15, 2012.

1. gaila

gaila New Seed

I purchased a elephant ear last year named 'Kona Coffee'
    The purple black foliage is beautiful. Looks good in a container with chartreuse sweet potato vine and a mixture of pink and white impatiens.

Chocolate: your pics are very pretty, thanks for sharing.

2. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

I don't know if I can be any help but I grow elephant ears & save the bulbs or roots over. The secret is to get them properly cured before storing.The rot you see has set in over the winter during storage because the roots contained moisture.I just leave them get really dry & store in wood shavings in my cool dry basement.I think they are OK. Haven't gotten them out yet. Ha the joke will be on me if they are dead!
    Those are some dandies in the pictures. I only have the ones with huge green leaves & the Illustris. One is Alo & the other colocasia.
    Doris

3. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Goodmorning, Gaila that is a lovely combination of colour, what about some pictures?

I have just been down to the garden and taken these photos, they are all growing happily together.The only one in a pot is the new limey coloured one, when it gets more leaves I will find a place for it in the ground where it will look after itself.
    The last photo is called a pocket lily but is also alocasia....sorry I dont know real mames, but you dont need a 'real' name to be lovely.
    Yes Carolyn I dont move them just cut them down to tidy them up,I notice they sometimes think that the whole shadehouse[even the world] belongs to them.
    Any time of the year here is good to repot so I dont know about there really, The black magic one which is still in a pot seems to be a much smaller plant and it does dissappear every now and then but comes up again, almost like a whole different type of plant.When it goes I never water the pot,thats the reason I keep it in the pot so I know where it is, I just put it to the back and forget it.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Still a baby ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Pocket or mickey mouse lily ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The prayer service and all your prayers must have worked. The bulbs started rooting.
    I only had one that continued to decay, so I cut as much of the decay away that I found and as I was putting it back in the soil I noticed a tiny root starting to emerge. Thank you all! Hopefully they will all come up now. Will post a pic later...if I remember. :rolleyes:

Chocolate, I love all the different varieties you have. I wish you could send me some. I have not seen many varieties available here like you have there. The ones that are available a too pricey for me yet.

Advertisement