Exotic animals on the loose!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Capt Kirk, Oct 19, 2011.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

"I don't mean to make fun of the situation, but can you imagine reporting to your insurance company "my car was damaged when I hit a lion near Zanesville, Ohio"?"

Very funny, Makes me LAUGH OUT LOUD. Can everyone hear me??????

Barb in Pa.

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

"Yes, now in Ohio you must be on the look out for a wild life safari adventure. For the low, low price of only your insurance deductible......" You, too, could be thinking you were in Africa, except for the rain and mud, and be on the adventure of a lifetime."

OH MY! What an advertisement for the visitors bureau!

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Bitten by Gorilla in Dublin City.

Many years ago i was told to pick up a man in Dublin City Zoo and take him to the Hospital Accidents and Injuries Department as he had being bitten on the shoulder by a Gorilla,..what a job he had trying to explain that he wasn't joking,..where he worked,..and how the Gorilla managed to bite his shoulder.

He was the new man doing security at the Zoo,..the man he was replacing took him on a tour,..one of the places was inside the Gorilla House,..behind the scenes where the Gorillas slept,..behind bars of course!,..however,.. he was shown that he could feed the Gorilla's by holding out a hand full of Pig Nuts and the Gorilla would gently take one nut at a time,..HOWEVER,..he MUST feed the Male Gorilla first,..on this point he forgot!,..because as he was feeding the Female Gorilla first the Male Gorilla was hopping mad to say the least,..when he got around to feeding the Male Gorilla,..hand held out with offerings,..the Male grabbed him by the wrist,..pulled him up against the bars and bit him on the shoulder,..i told him he was lucky the Gorilla didn't fancy him.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Okay Philip, this is not one of my favorite memories, but everyone seems to get a chuckle out of it.
    Bitten by a seal in Toronto, Canada
    We were on our honeymoon, and went to a park that offered boat rides. We were the last on, so were seated at the back (where the fish bucket usually was, but no one mentioned that at the time). I was happily enjoying watching the ducks and swans, when a seal from "seal island" swam over, hopped on the back of the boat, and bit my upper arm!
    I got a tetanus shot and lived happily ever after with my darling husband, but never got over my antipathy toward seals.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh Dear, Jane, I had a similar experience with a horse. I was feeding one of ours when I was about 4 and she bit my arm and laid it right open, I have a scar to this day! Needless to say I can do without them, myself. I don't have the fondness for them my sister has, that's for sure.

6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I feel real sad about the whole story. The man that was keeping all these wild animals must've been a troubled soul.
    I also feel bad for the officers that had to destroy the animals. I'll bet that won't soon be forgotten by them.

7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I know just how you feel Kay,..and i suppose nobody wants to dwell on the thought of all those poor animals being put down because they escaped,..not sick,..or injured,..just escaped,..i know i tend to be a bit toooo sensitive where animals are concerned.

8. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

They said he was in debt for $68,000 for back taxes, had lost his job while in prison for federal weapons charges, and his wife had left him.

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

No matter what his circumstances the man should never have even contemplated setting those animals loose where he was putting the public in extreme danger. I just hope that all the ones that were killed had a quick death and didn't suffer.

carolyn likes this.
  10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

And you see these auctions. And the people who have the animals-so close to other people. On news showed lady giving bath to tiger in kids swimming pool. Mountain lions been spotted in Iowa. And no idea where they came from

11. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Although not exotic, there are Elk appearing in my area. They are not native to the eastern part of Nebraska, but due to rising populations, these must be wandering east. Anyway, I read in my newspaper this morning that yesterday, police had to kill a bull Elk that was roaming in a newer area on the outskirts of the city. It was injured, and running through a neighborhood jumping fences. It was so close to where my daughter lives. It made me sad. I assume the police also did not have tranqilizer guns available, and they probably didn't like killing it. (or who knows, maybe thet were blood thirsty hunters; no offense intended) It made me sad.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Kay, sometimes tranquilizers are more dangerous than out right killing them. That was one of the problems with the animals this week when a vet tried to tranquilize a tiger(i think it was a tiger), after 10 seconds the animal went crazy and tried to attack the vet. Unfortunately tranquilizing an animal doesn't always work. I had to take my dog to the vet this past week and he HATED the vet and vet tech. He started growling and snapping the instant she walked into the room. He only needed a booster shot and he would not let them touch him, I said how about a dog valium? and she said no not while he was so agitated. I took him home (with the sedative) to try the next day, do you know he still didn't want them to touch him. It was bizarre. He has never acted that way with anybody and she said "he was overriding" the sedative. He could hardly walk and he still had enough awareness to not want them to touch him. Maybe it was because we had his manliness removed the two weeks prior to this :eek: and he just realized it.

13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I saw this on the news too. It is awful. I cannot imagine trying to feed so many huge animals, cleaning up after them etc. It is too bad for the animals, his family and whatnot. The news says he has had trouble with the law a lot, and speculated that letting them loose was his thumbing his nose at the law and the neighbors?

I do not think private persons need to have such dangerous animals either. They belong wild in their own country or in a zoo, and properly cared for. They do not belong in circuses either, as those animals are frequently neglected and mistreated too.

I think the sherif did the best he could under terrible conditions. That man obviously did not give a **** about his animals.

14. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I saw on news other people who have lions.etc. And have them in kennels-lot smaller then ours for 2 dogs. And we've been looking for new gate for ours.Gauge of wire -think used pop cans to make them.Our 10 month golden lab-chewed a hole in it. Just think what a tiger could do.

15. louise

louise New Seed

Does anyone have a link to this story? I haven't heard anything about it before...