Fall Planting Ideas.......What's up your sleeve for fall?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by bsewnsew, Sep 4, 2007.

1. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

now ya see, there you go. Most folks I meet have no clue what a Johnny jump-up is! That's what I call the tiny wild yellow violets around here. I've grown them from seed, but being an instant-gratification American, I prefer started plants (which is why I need to switch from pinching pennies to pinching nickles, lol!)

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've just ordered a couple of Fetterbushes (Leucothoe axillaris) for the front garden. They only grow to around 50cms tall and are evergreen. New foliage is purplish which changes to green in the summer and reddy brown in autumn and winter. Should look great against the plum coloured slate we've just spread.

Her's a piccie of some for you all to see.

[​IMG]

3. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Your bush and slate.

That looks like a nice lil bush.
    and the slate is the same color as my red Lava rock .
    I put in one corner of my house......
    I didnt like it at first, but now I do.........

Yours is very neat.

What other things do you plant?

Barb

4. MyHomeAndGarden

MyHomeAndGarden New Seed

Mail order

Am curious to which mail order or catalog company would you say is the best?
    Deborah

Advertisement
  5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Re: fall............

So called 'hardy glads' (they're shorter than the regular ones) don't have to be dug up here. I only have one (so lonely looking!) and he blooms at the end of August or beginning of Sept., a time when I need more color in the yard... only things blooming now are the asters, a bit of allium and the last of the crocosmia so something bright would be nice.

I have two huge pink peonies that I need to find homes for, so they get to be dug up and moved pretty soon - I want their spot for other things, and I still have four other big peonies.

I trimming back all of my oregon grape too - it grows like crazy. Found a cherry tree sapling growing in the middle of one clump, think I'll let him stay for now.

6. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

No planting here....

I'm to the point that I won't plant anything this fall, and need to cut back!...literally. One berm is going to get removed, and seeded to grass. It's just unattractive, located under a tree & just needs to go away. I'll also be cutting back/removing part of the blackberry patch to make way for painting & clearing a larger swath the the utilities. I need to renovate & remove a lot of the plant materials that have overgrown in my gardens. It's time to thin out here.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Re: Mail order

Since I live in Norway, I'm not sure how much use this will be to you, but I prefer Zimtrade. A bit on the expensive side, but they deliver nice goods. A local Norwegian supplier is very serviceminded, but often deliver dried-up roots and soft bulbs, which is very annoying. As for Bakker Holland, well, they deliver nice things normally, but often ship the wrong goods, which is very annoying if I am after something special.

8. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Mary, I bought a pack of Johnny Jump-Up seeds yesterday, need to start them soon. They are my favorites.

9. WTxDaddy

WTxDaddy In Flower

Fall

I'm grabbing up stuff on sale at nurseries, so I can have cool stuff at lower prices. We won't have a freeze 'til late October, or early November on average, so I'm comfortable with planting perennials now.
    For good Winter color, pansies and violas are always in my gardens. I like the primroses too, but I can never get them to do as well as I'd like. If I get the pansies in early, their roots systems get good & established & they're much hardier for the 2 or 3 really cold spells we get each Winter - like 10ºF or lower.

10. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

sept 16

We had out first frost last nite.. sept 16..
    Just is spots but a warning in Pennsylvania to get the yard work done..ALl my prettys must go.

11. Droopy

Oh, poor you. We'll soon have frost here too, by the looks of things, but I'm not cutting anything still in flower.

12. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Frost was just a weak one..........

We had patchy frost, it didnt hurt the flowers and garden veggies............But it sure is a warning of what will come..;o(

Oh well that is life .......I might get bored without snow..

DO you get lots of snow/

13. Droopy

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Our winters are extremely unstable, which is hard on my plants. The frost-thaw-snow-rain-thing really is a killer. Last winter was not too bad. The winter before that gave us heaps of snow. We rarely get meter-tall snowfalls, but often 25 cm of soggy, wet goo.

14. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

It seems as if the rain let up here in Cape Town and the growth season is about to start. Unfortuantely I did not prepare as well as I should have during Autumn and my lawn requires a lot of attention.
    THis is mainly due to installing a new swimming pool in my backyard and not properly establishing the lawn before Winter set in.
    However, apart from the lawn I just planted my Amaryllis in containers, fed the roses and remulched them, and starting a new compost heap.

See ya later. got to go.

15. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

palm tree

Horray......
    New swimming pool and amaryllis go good together or apart.......

Guess you'll have to rake the mud up.
    I am collecting may seeds right now.. Hoping get some tulips planted and the old ones relocated.

barb