Flower Garden--Part 1

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes... I figure that if I have to leave them so long, that I may as well give them a really good shaking to get the new seeds down and ready to go for next year. When they are blooming it looks like there are areas of blue smoke or mist over the surface of the ground. Ha ha ha... not a bad effect.

2. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Hey.......I are late viewing that .. my mind is absent for a few days..

that is a cool garden or allotment there.. You do have my arches.....My forget me nots also. YOu dont get your feet muddy as much as I do.
    I love the designs also........Mulch helps...
    Thanks for putting up with us nosy ones.

b

3. Silman45

Silman45 New Seed

ok, what am I doing wrong? I have tried for the past two seasons to get forget-me-nots to grow and have had no success!

4. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Cold weather crops for one thing..
    I did mine in the fall.

b

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Silman... why don't you do something daring and prepare a patch by digging and raking fine...the water that and broadcast the seeds over it. Cover with a very thin layer of compost seeding soil or something like that. water again and cover with a piece of plastic. when they germinate and start pushing their little heads up... remove it one morning and let them be.
    They may well do it.

They will grow in most soils, but seem to do best in a place that has partial shade.

Normally you would sow the seeds in late spring or even early summer, but for the experiment you could try them now. The seeds are usually quite inexpensive so if they do not do it, no great loss.

6. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

@Sjoerd, I like the Forget-me-nots and the different walkways.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Forget me knots are lovely little plants while in bloom.

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I can't blame your partner for leaving the forget me nots... I left mine when we moved and if I have enough room here in my small flower beds, I will look for some... I love the pictures and it gives us such a good idea of what things look like. I can't wait again to see photos when plants are in bloom. I really don't even have any flower beds yet...waiting for winter to leave our area, it seems to be dragging on and on....

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I'm glad you liked that. I would be lost without at least some in the garden.
    The only bad thing about the seed-shaking is that I wait unti the majority of the seed things are brown and fragile....it means that cleaning has to wait. hahaha. Big problem--waiting, right?