Forked thread - from painting to skating

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Droopy, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I couldn't agree with you more, Droopy. However, if this warming trend continues, skates will become irrevelant here for general public use. And as for skiing....well a large portion of Nederland was once the bottom of the sea, so a ski slope for us would be to climb up onto a dike and glide off of that...or perhaps a sand dune somewhere along the coast :D . You know what we say about our country? We say that god made the world in six days and while he was resting on the seventh, the Dutch made Holland. ;)

2. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

hahahaha that is funny!!

Speaking of those old strap on skates,, i know i seen some here in the barn somewhere..I'll take a pic if i can find them.

You know we started out with a lot of snow fast, then it melted, then snowed again. But now it melted, an its getting warmer up here, today its near 6. Thats not normal at all here. We should be around 1-2 deg C now an frost everywhere. Just this past week its all melted. Kind of worries me.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey... I'd like to see yer skates!
    It is, at this moment, 5.7°C here on the balcony.
    It's not looking good for having a cold winter. We NEED a cold winter. My parsnips NEED a cold winter ;) heh heh heh

4. Biita

Yeah we need a cold winter here too,, we need to kill off the flys, its bad enough in summer with the normal amount, but to have a winter where nothing kills off the last group,, geeeez i don't even want to think about it,,lol.

Heres the skates,, one of KB's uncles made these or his dad,, i don't know. We have a blacksmith house here on the farm that used to get used, now it just sits there.

[​IMG]

There is a pair of old ski's too but dang i can't find them,, knowing uncle (89 yrs old now) he used them for firewood,,,,,they were the kind that you just put your feet in with a V at the toe and a metal half circle over that to hold the shoe toe in. then the back was a leather strapping,, but i can't find them.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Old ski's
    Wow Biita, your's go RIGHT back, don't they?
    Those are nice-looking skates alright.
    I shall have to go rumaging through old boxes to see if I can find ours to show. We uised to keep them hanging on the wall as some folks would do pictures.
    I'm afraid that the inside of our flat looks like an museum sometimes (someone once said that...and I'm not sure which way they ment it.--hahaha). Not that we have a trove of old and valuable Dutch items, but rather things that we collected in our travels. Hahaha...it's a funny old house.
    addendum: your skates look valuable--not in a monitary sense, I mean in a historical sense. They are a good ecample.

6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

:D Sjoerd, you're funny! I've also heard that when the Devil took Jesus to the mountain and tempted him with the World, he carefully held a thumb over Scotland. (Sorry, eileen - probably just another myth.)

Lovely skates, Biita. The ski bindings you mention are much like the ones I like, called Kandahar-bindings. Only metal on mine, though, no leather. Too new.

My husband loves the bismer weight hanging next to your skates. He's made most of downstairs into a hamster's den and museum. I need to get my clammy hands on a farm with a big barn and some out buildings, and give Hubby some room for his collections.

Sjoerd, many Norwegians hang skates and skis on their cabin walls for decoration purposes. Many skis were home made, it's fun to display one's heritage.

By the way, we've got warmer weather today too, 7 deg C earlier, but now we're down to 5.

7. Biita

Thank you, there are a few more pairs of those, hanging all over the farm,, i just can't remember where tho. lol.

Those weights, we have a few of those too, grinding wheels, old black smith ovens, you name it, we probably got it. This farm used to be a working farm, with sheep, goats, an they raised all their straw, huge food garden, smoke house, wagons an extra wheels, horse harness for working, huge wooden beams, all stored. And all those houses still have all the stuff in them plus all the tools used in that day. The family just got to old, an stopped. So it just sits there,, but give me time,,lol. I'll change that.

It went up to 7 here, not good at all. We have a full storm supposed to hit us tonight. We'll see.

8. Droopy

I'm not telling my husband this, he'll want to cancel our sun-and-sea-vacation to go north and have a look. :D

If you get a storm, at least it will be rain, not snow, with those temperatures.

9. Biita

lol,, why droopy,,,, i'm shocked,,,,,, were at 7 deg C, heat wave here, an surrounded by all the sea you could want, its an island even, close your eyes an you can pretend its tropical, and we even have white sandy beaches,,,,,,, :D

10. Droopy

Oh, the sandy beaches of the north are beautiful, and fun to make sand castles on, but there's no 25-degree water to go with them! I yearn for some proper heat, haven't had any since last June when we were in Rhodes.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

They are skating again today, Droopy. I think Anni Friesinger won something but I just missed what.

12. Droopy

I'm just done with the Christmas cards, and haven't turned the TV on so far today. I hope you won. The Norwegian women aren't favorites anywhere this year either.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Did you know the EK is going on? The Norwegian, Bøkko is in second place over all.
    Tomorrow will be the final day and long distances will be highlighted.
    Right before the top three skaters went up onto the podium to receive their medals I saw one of out skaters go up to Bøkko and pat his back in congratulation. It is so nice to see good sportsmanship among athletes instead of aggressive and rude behaviour.
    Don't tell mew you forgot to watch...hahahahaha

14. Droopy

I forgot to watch, Sjoerd, I was busy tidying away the remains of Christmas. One of your young, very good skaters and Håvard Bøkko are great friends off the ice. It's also a thing I appreciate, when they show that they are friends even though they compete with each other.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh fooey, Droopy... what a disappointment. It was a real doozy this year...especially that last 10K race. Soooooo exciting.
    We did pretty good this year in ther EK, so I'm well chuffed. My bride is having trouble handling me this evening as a result. ha ha ha :D
    Next week is the WK sprint championships here in Heerenveen. We checked for tickets, but they were sold out.