Front garden help please?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, Apr 2, 2013.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ronni, That is how children learn :D I have had bees since my youngest was two. Never did I give a thought that "what if they got stung" in all the years I had them. Nor has anyone been attacked except by hornets. Children will quickly learn to not bother the bees or to watch for them in the grass if there is clover in your lawn. Even if they are curious about them, they can quietly observe them without fear. They are interesting little creatures. The bees don't care if they are watched, they are too busy gathering nectar and pollen to "worry" about their privacy being invaded. If you or the children get stung use dandelion sap to neutralize the venom. I don't hesitate to pull one and let the sap well up and dab it on. Instant pain relief. Do you have a lot of allergies in your family or know if anyone is allergic to bees already? If not, don't stress and worry too much.

Don't forgo flowers on the off chance that someone could be allergic to them. Chances are they are not, but everyday we wake up is a day that anything could change in the blink of an eye.

This is a bumblebee, not a honeybee, but they are just as gentle as a honey bee, until they get pinched...ooops!
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

This bee landed on my finger as I was taking pictures of a swarm. Now that is a very interesting process to watch.
    [​IMG]
    Hello? ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

When I opened the hive there was burr comb filled with honey and once I broke the wax apart they start moving the honey to a new place. This is formed when they are running out of space in the frames.
    [​IMG]

This is what the inside of a hive looks like. There are thousands of bees in here at any given time. slow gentle movements keep them quiet, usually.

[​IMG]

Droopy and Jewell like this.