Full bellies this winter

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by carolyn, Oct 16, 2013.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Why, Thank you Oubee. I think I am very blessed in being able to preserve the things I grow and know that while we may not have an abundance of cash, we will not go hungry and I can easily help someone else out who may need dinner.

2. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

And she very willing to share her wealth of knowledge, too!

3. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I can remember My DG banging on gauge with wooden spoon to drop :rolleyes: pressure. Doing apples with it in am. Got so many.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I just set my canner on the concrete floor when I am done with the batch. This really helps pull the heat off fast without pulling the liquid out of the jar. if you don't have a concrete floor to work with just take it off the burner and let the pressure drop that way. letting the pressure off by moving the pressure gauge will suck the liquid right out of the jar....this is why I collect the canners when I see a bargain or one that is getting thrown away, I can have one ready to go on the burner as soon as the first one is done.

Advertisement
  5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

carolyn keiper, I just knew you were busy at this time. I am so busy I drop at the end of the day. I love what you do, as you well know.

I didn't grow that much this year but I will go out and find someone who did if I can put it up. I will even share some with the people who share with me. I just want my jars back. LOL

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Barb, Thanks, I had the busiest Summer and Fall in the last three years.... Thankful I was for it. Now, I will keep on putting up whatever I find out there yet.

That is the understatement. Jars are getting outrageous in cost. If you are needing a jar for a gift and you have to buy a whole case...oyvey! I did have an older customer clean out her jars this Fall and ask me if I was interested in buying them for 2.00 a dzn. YES! oh I means, yes, I think I could use those sometime in the coming year. I think I have filled almost all of my jars that I own, so I will be very happy to have hers at a fraction of the cost of new ones.

7. waretrop

I have over a thousand quarts packed in the garage, empty. I now need pints. I grab what I can from garage sales and friends feel badly for me and give me some. My question is where did they get them from? Did they not return them to the origional canner person???? I take them anyway.....

8. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Caught hubby using my jars for garage junk. Put a stop to that in a hurry.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, That is a lot of jars. I don't think I have nearly that many including pints and 1/2 pints. But, on to the others retuning the jars...if you give it to them they probably think of it as a "gift" therefore no need to return the jar or they have no clue how expensive jars are to go buy. I had a customer complain about my jelly prices and the lady next to her defended my by asking her "if she had bought any jars in the last 10 years? they are expensive". Since I am not planning on getting my jar back I price them that way, too. but if I get some of them back I am delighted. I do have a few people who do return them instead of tossing them in the trash.

10. waretrop

Don't leave home for long periods at a time or I'll run right over there and steal all those...... :-D

Donna S, I would kill my hubby and he knows ITTT.....