Gilly's Allotment

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Gilly, Feb 20, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga, "chitting" is simply cutting the potatoes into pieces that have at least two eyes each, then letting them dry until the cut side dries out--usually a day or two. Some people don't bother with chitting, but I find that for our garden and climate, it helps. I think having all the potato pieces about the same size also makes planting easier

2. Gilly

Gilly New Seed

Oh, I didn't realise chitting was cutting the potatoes into pieces as well as letting the shoots start to sprout :) See, already I am learning new stuff! :D I've still got two & half trays of potatoes from the shed to sort through tomorrow so I think I'm definitely ok for those this year! :p Day off work tomorrow so I'm going to finish doing the potatoes, clean the greenhouse glass, get some compost from the garden centre in preparation for seed sowing on Sunday and put the bags into the greenhouse to warm up. I've also got some perennials which have been sprouting on my living room window for the past 10 days or so and now need to go into a bigger pot: 2 x Echinacea and 2 x Echinops.

I love growing flowers that are attractive to bees and hoverflies and other good wildlife. Years ago I had a front garden which I filled with flowers. The first year I had problems with blackfly and aphids but by year two I had a lovely natural balance as I grew flower to attract the predators and their larvae kept the aphids & blackfly in check :) The snails I was over-run with I would collect up in a tub and take two miles up the road to a local nature reserve :D In one summer alone I collected over 300 snails from a tiny patch!!!! The next year the snail population was a LOT more manageable ;)

Thanks for all the advice re herbs and other attractive plants - I've written them all down in my notebook so I can keep an eye open for any when I'm next in garden centres, flea markets and car boot fairs (always a good place to find bargains!).

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Gilly, it may well be that "chitting" here has a different meaning than in the UK. Either way, we'll both get potatoes!
    If you want to grow basil, it's almost embarrassingly easy to start from seed. We grow the Genovese or Large Leaf Italian, which is very delectable, and also will have long purple flowering spikes if you let one or two go to seed. Bees love those basil flowers!
    A word about flea market and car boot fair plants--keep them isolated for a few days after purchase to make sure there are no diseases or pests involved.

Gilly likes this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Marlingardener, I've never 'chit' my potato pieces before ... just wondering how 'chitting' helps? I usually just dig a trench and then cut and plant immediately.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, I was told that the freshly cut potato might attract insects in the soil. Since in Texas we have two of every bug invented, I go ahead and let mine heal over. Some dry their potatoes, some don't, but after experiencing all the insect life around here, I decided to err on the side of caution!

6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hmmm ... I've been lucky in regards to bugs the past few years, but maybe I'll try it this year.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey there Cayuga-- We call allotment occupiers, " Allotmenteers".

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sjoerd--I will be getting a plot in our 'community garden' this year. I wonder what I'll be called?

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well.....I'll call you "Lucky". chuckle.
    I have heard that it is difficult to get one of those municipal plots.
    Meid, I am so excited for you.

10. Gilly

Gilly New Seed

An update as I've neglected this forum for a few weeks :oops: The month of March had me climbing the walls with impatience as it gave us the occasional lovely warm sunny day which had us thinking Spring had sprung....and then dashed us back into the gloom with cold and murky conditions :( I spent one sunny Sunday afternoon cleaning the greenhouse inside and out and now the glass is all gleaming. I have a few flowers sown in trays and they've started to emerge this past few days as the temperatures have steadily risen :D Last week was lovely Tuesday & Thursday and both days I was off work so headed up to the plot and I dug over the two beds next to the gate. I'd originally planned to put potatoes in there but I'm still mulling over the idea of making it a permanent flower bed :stew2: So many decisions!!! Perhaps I should get my spuds in there this year then next I can create my permanent flower bed once the plot has taken shape more.

Easter Sunday I was at work all morning (5.30am - 12.30pm) and it was absolutely scorching when I left at 12.45pm so I headed straight up to the plot to open doors and vents to let a bit of air circulate so my precious plants wouldn't be fried to a crisp! I then had to head home for a few hours but returned at 6pm to move the plants back inside and close the doors and vents once more.

Bank Holiday Monday was a day off so I got up to the plot by 10.30am and already the temperatures were beginning to rise (and the tourists crowd our small town!). Still undecided about where to put my spuds (typical Piscean....cannot make her mind up!!!:whistling:) so instead I concentrated on sowing a few salad veg in the tunnel ~ two types of lettuce, radish, beetroot, spring onion sand chives. I also planted some of my cucumber and sweet pepper seedlings which I started off on my south-facing living room window before transferring to the greenhouse. I've made some cloches to protect them at night from cut down bottles so hopefully these will help them get established ok.

Today, Tuesday 7th April, I've only done a morning shift at work (6 - 9 am) so hope to spend a few more hours on site and, hopefully, plant my potatoes.

The Compulsory Pics! ;)

The six raised beds which are still a work in progress for Neil ~ he should get them finished this week hopefully.
    [​IMG]

The view from the gate and my 'possible' tattie bed! :D
    [​IMG]

Cucumbers & peppers planted yesterday[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The polytunnel as I locked up last night...pots closest are flowers to be planted out
    [​IMG]

I plan to get a lot more done this week as it's a good forecast and I'm not back at work 'properly' until Saturday afternoon.

Sjoerd, Frank and eileen like this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

looks great Gilly. I see you are using plastic bottles as cloches. Do they work well?

12. Gilly

Gilly New Seed

I hope so! :) Neil had a few empty 2 litre pop bottles and I cut them in half to use as a plant pot to give my cucumber seedlings more root room and it just struck me the other day that they might make a decent basic cloche to help protect my newly-planted young plants. Whether they DO work remains to be seen :whistling: In theory they should....

Cucumbers once they got a touch too big for their seed tray!
    [​IMG]

My tomatoes (Gardeners Delight) are shooting up too!
    [​IMG]

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gilly your allotment is looking great. It's good to know the weather is co-operating so that you can get things moving along. Those raised beds are going to be a real boon when they're ready.
    Isn't it nice to be able to recycle those plastic bottles and make good use of them? I've even used them to kill off bindweed shoots that invaded from a neighbours property. So much better than ending up on a landfill site. Your cucumbers certainly seem to appreciate the root space you've given them.

Gilly likes this.
  14. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

It all looks wonderful. Your going to enjoy this season a lot.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Your gardening endeavours are really looking impressive. I am really impressed with your polytunnel. The outside layout looks so ghood. I recall your pics when you took over the lottie.

Carry on meid!