Guess who I met today?

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by KK Ng, Mar 27, 2010.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

How cool is that?!?!

I have met one member, but would love to meet more. Maybe a GardenStew meeting would be the excuse I would need to do some serious travelling. ;)

So KK, the Luffa, is that the luffa squash that ends up as a bathroom accessory? I have tried, unsuccessfully in the past to grow them here in the UK.

2. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Yes that's real cool Gardenplansireland, never really did expected it. 8)

Bunkie you got it and now my wife the baker of the best butter cake will take over the keyboard.

8oz/250g butter
    8oz/250g caster sugar
    8oz/250g flour -sift with baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    5 eggs
    4 tablespoons WHIPPED cream

1. Grease and lightly flour a 12inch x 9inch baking tray.
    2. Separate egg yolks from whites. Beat egg whites with one third the sugar until soft peaks form. Mixture should not be dry like meringue.
    3. Cream butter and remaining sugar until mixture is near white and fluffy.
    4. Beat egg yolks into butter mixture.
    5. Fold in flour/baking powder.
    6. Fold in whipped cream
    7. Fold in egg whites/sugar mixture.
    8. Bake in middle of pre-heated oven at 170 ºC for about 25 minutes (convection oven) or until skewer comes out clean.

Unlike other butter cakes, you will find this especially moist and the secret is in beating the egg whites separately and the addition of the whipped cream.

I am back and butter cake to me is the cake of all cakes. Let me know how it turned out and if you are in the neighbourhood, she'll bake you one.

EJ this is my second luffa plant and I had not had any luffa yet. The first plant was badly attacked by some kind of hairy caterpillar and I had to destroy it so that it would not affect my other plants. This present plant looks promising and I am expecting to get some luffa real soon.

Yes it is the luffa squash but over in this part of the world it is normally eaten before it can end up in the bathroom. EJ why not try again I am sure you could get success just in a matter of time. :)

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi KK, could you repost the wonderful buttercake recipe in the Recipes forum so that search engine visitors may find it? The word must get out! :D

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

KK what a great surprise.I know you enjoyed meeting Frank .We had 5 of us meet at once,Dooley,DR,Heathermt,Jubabe and myself then wannabe this year.Dooley and DR are now my neighbors.
    That buttercake sounds wonderful.Frank I'm sure you enjoyed your visit with KK.Thats a great photo.

Advertisement
  5. enkagrl

enkagrl New Seed

awwww it looks like you guys had a great time! you have a lovely garden, too! :)

Oh and thank you KK's wife for the recipe. :) I took it & sent it to everyone I know that loves cake. :)

6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I copied the recipe also and will send it to my family and friends. It sounds delish! Thanks Rebecca and KK. :)

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

OK Frank considered it done :-D

Wow!! Glendann it must really great for all five of you to meet at once and Dooley and DR are now your neighbours.

Enkagrl thanks and we really did had a great time. My wife is very pleased that she can share here butter cake with everyone here. :-D

Thanks Kuntrygal, Rebecca is very happy that you all like it :-D