Has this rhodo bit the biscuit?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by whistler, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

They are supposed to loose their leaves? Uh oh. The one i have out back has not lost its leaves at all, and this is the second winter i have seen it. What i can see over the snow is still very bright green and has a bud on it.

I honestly didn't know they were to loose the leaves...i thought it was doing good...lol. Well what i can see of it.

2. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

The ones that grow around here don't lose their leaves. The little one I planted last year was flattened by the snow for weeks. Snow melted off of it and it looks adorable with leaves green and looking mostly OK. I'm excited to see how it will look when it blooms. When does that happen generally with Rhododendren? Early Spring, like Azalea?

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Biita you better get out there and pull that wayward green rhodie up :D blooms and all. Of course you have to pot it up and send it on to me.

I didn't know until this year that there were some that bloom as early as February :eek: I'm not very observant since they are old bushes in the neighborhood I've lived in for 30 years :oops:

I'd read about the fall blooming ones. Don't think I've seen one yet (that I am aware of, except in a nursery and that doesn't count.

It was severals years after living in "rhodie land" that I found out there are deciduous and evergreen rhodies on a rhodie tour. They have flowers before they get their leaves in the spring. It was the fragrance that really caught my attention, I thought it was a sickly plant :-? . Good thing I found out about them, otherwise I might have pulled up a perfectly good plant when we got the cabin. :oops: :rolleyes:

The traditional time for rhodie tours here is opening on Mother's Day (May) and closing on Memorial Day (June something). I know that the blooming time is somewhat longer (the guide/owner told me so) if you have a good mix of rhodies.

Some years we try to catch the native rhodies blooming up around the pennisula usually around Mother's Day. They are a lovely soft shade of pink and line part of the drive with huge wild bushes.

I am afraid I am one of those people who didn't really like rhodies, but have come to enjoy them. I thought they were too flashy/colorful and bright. Just didn't look natural to me. Go figure.

4. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

so..."biting the biscuit" is..."dying"...
    i'm gonna stay away from biscuits, chips, cookies, wafers, and the like...

:)

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Better stay away from 'dust' as well, Calin--it can be lethal as well. ;)

6. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

aaaaa.... so you've seen the movie...
    want a ferret, too?
    :D

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

8. fencesllove

fencesllove Seedling

By the way, What the pH is of your soil?

9. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

well, probably ...dying :D