Have you ever met a famous person?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Jan 10, 2007.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Well, I did meet a few, but not movie stars. I once met the granddaughter of Yellow Cloud who fought at the Battle of Little Big Horn, or Wounded Knee, whichever you prefer. She is a lovely person, and she showed me her personal museum of Indian artifacts. She explained how they had more important value to her than money and told me a lot of history. I was about 12 at the time.

I have met a couple of book authors, one is a relative [Charles S. Longacre] but I was very young when I met him and he died a few years later. I have his books and one [his biography of Roger Williams who founded Rhode Island] is autographed. He wrote a lot on Religious Liberty and was a magazine editor for many years. The other book author I met was when I was in high school, and she was speaking to our school. Her name is Alice Princess Siwundhla, and her book is also autographed. She is a very gracious lady also. ["My Two Worlds"]

One of my sons has met Chuck Norris in Texas.

2. louise

louise New Seed

Wow, some of you have met some AMAZING people, I am very jealous!

The most famous person I've met is Louis Walsh. Not sure if he's well known in America but he's the Irish judge on the British X Factor.

3. louise

louise New Seed

Just to add; I don't even like the X Factor so big whoop that was for me!

4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Reggie Miller from the Indiana Pacers comes into our store sometimes. And last year Bob and Tom (they have a radio show) did a segment in our store. Patti Labelle came to my middle school once and I shook hands with her and our governer at the time (cant remember his name now!). Oh, and Jeff Saturday from the Indianapolis Colts came into the store once.

Advertisement
  5. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

I met George and Barbara Bush when he was the Vice President. My husband was an Military aide for his son Marvin during his Inauguration. All the aides were invited to his home at the Naval Observatory for a reception.

[​IMG]
    Meeting George Bush ( photo / image / picture from gfreiherr's Garden )
    My husband got to meet President Jimmy Carter, Menachen Begin & Anwar Sadat at Camp David. He was the Parade Commander for a Review of the Troops during the Mideast Peace talks in 1978. This photo appeared in Newsweek magazine.

[​IMG]
    My husband is the first Marine on the left ( photo / image / picture from gfreiherr's Garden )

Our neighbor's sister was Donna Dixon (in Bosom Buddies & Spies Like Us) she is married to Dan Ackroyd and we got to meet them. My daughter stayed at his house in Canada for a week. She got to meet River Phoenix just before he died.

One more...I met Elizabeth Taylor when she was married to Senator John Warner at a militay reception.

:D

6. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

I got to know and love a famous person! But he himself was not know as much as his famous toy. Walter F, Morrison better know to all of you as the guy who invented the Frisbee. He passed away this past February.
    I met John Wayne as a kid in Moab, UT while he was making a movie. He was a first Cousin to Walter, they were very much alike. John Wayne's real name was Marion Morrison.

7. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

The year that the film Cold Mountain came out, T-Bone Burnett put together a tour featuring the music of O Brother Where Art Thou and Cold Mountain.

The group I am a member of http://daytonsacredharp.org/ was invited to participate on the dates the tour was in SW Ohio. I met on those nights, Dr. Ralph Stanley, Alison Krause, Dan Tymanski, Buck White and both daughters, the members of the Nashville BlueGrass Band, T-Bone himself, etc. ad nauseam. I can also say, I am a 3rd cousin to Ricky Skaggs.

Always allowed as to how I'd like to sing for my supper and travel the country doing it. Those nights changed my point of view by 180 degree's.

Living on a bus with a view of the dumpsters, dirty shabby back halls of stadiums and coliseums. Dressing rooms of painted cinder block. Some of them folks said they had to look at the phone book to see what town they were in.

It was fun to sing with them though.

8. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Well, some pretty impressive people there especially Her Maj Eileen :p I can't top that but when I was a child I went to a holiday camp and met a comedy duo, Richard Murdoch & Kenneth Horne (maybe some of you older Brits may remember them lol) Also, being a fan of country music we used to go to many concerts and I met George Hamilton IVth (whatever happened to him?) I remember he was very tall, towering above me.

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

This was a fun topic -- I'm glad someone revived it. I'm wracking my brain trying to think if I've ever met someone famous.... It may take a while!

10. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

My goodness, what an interesting topic! It got me thinking about my time in London.

I worked in a Central London newsagents for a number of years.
    One day I was sorting some newspapers in our basement, and when I went back into the shop, my boss said that David Cassidy had just bought a packet of cheroots. He had the lead part in the musical 'Time', which was on at the Dominion Theatre around the corner.
    I was absolutely gutted that I'd missed him! It was the only time he came to our shop, later he would send his assistant to buy his ciggies. Boohoo.... :'(

11. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

My husband and I were in Toronto when I was 20 something. After eating dinner in this little cafe, we were asked if we wanted to stay for the show. We said yes and were given front row center seats. OMG the Platters & Drifter walked out.The platters came off stage knelt down in front of me, held my hand and sang "Only You" to me.
    Needless to say I just melted. After the show they invited us to the dressing room which was like a suite for drinks and we sat around and chatted with them til their next show.