Hey Buddy can you share some rain?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by koszta kid, Jun 13, 2012.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We finally got some rain yesterday also. We were so dry it was getting to the crisis stage for our field crops. It was looking like no corn for us for the summer. So we are very thankful for the inch we received. Hope we get some more today.

2. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

The main prayer at church will be rain. Got extra hose. To water pine trees and couple of yard trees. Go water flower-using soaking hoses for them. Seen guy mowing yesterday-nothing to mow brown.

3. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Doc Friend said she seen some green grass. She thought he had been watering. Mixed green food coloring. But got recorded message from Rural water to conserve. Got 40% chance Thursday.

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

There has been no rain here since June22-23rd. The past couple of weeks the temperature has been over 95°F every day. This week it has reached 100° or more every day. ((GASP)) We are so hot and dry it is getting real depressing. There is a fire burning in the north part of the state near the South Dakota border. Not good, at all. Corn and soybeans are not looking good at all. Ponds,and streams are drying up.
    I have spent so much time watering. More than I ever remember!!
    My container plants are all tucked up in the shade under the trees instead of looking pretty in their decorative places by the door.
    There is a teeny tiny chance that it may rain tonight, but it doesn't feel like it will. It isn't even cooling off ay night. Last night the low temp was 81°F!!!
    Do I sound whiney? I am!!
    I (and everyone around here) will be very relieved when this dry heat spell is broken.
    So, yea, prayin for rain!!

Advertisement
  5. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

We got 1/2 inch last night. And to be cooler-well in low 90's. On news said people who had Christmas tree farms. Al the newly planted one-dead. One guy planted 1000. It hit 107* yesterday. Only good thing was hanging wash out.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hip hip hooray! we got rain last night 3/10th of an inch. Well, it was really needed I won't complain...but we are getting no yields from the fields. I have three 75' rows of greenbeans and one row has short curly beans, not worth picking and I got maybe 2#'s off of the other two rows this morning...hardly worth the time it took to walk over there and pull the wagon thinking there would be more than that to pick...oh wait, there was, off the row of cukes I got 3, and off the two rows of tomatoes (36 plants) I got 6 red, SMALL tomatoes...I almost forgot to count them. :oops: shame on me.
    The good news is we are supposed to be getting more rain today.Right now you couldn't tell it, though. It is sunny and 85f and it feels like at least 90 already. I am soaked with sweat from weeding the corn and picking the produce. Too bad I am not soaked from rain water. That would feel ever so nice.

7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I had 1/4" yesterday. After a hot humid day, a fast moving thundershower blew through. Wish it would've stayed longer... rained more...
    It was so sudden, we said "do you hear thunder?" and next thing we knew, here came the wind and rain. We were tempted to do a dance out in the driveway!! People on our block were outside like us just watching the rain come down. Wow, doesn't take too much to excite me these days!! Today, the temp is only in the mid 80s, a blessed relief. Forecast doesn't look too good though, supposed to heat back up.

8. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Stinking at some of the river. High temps. and low water-killed some of the fish. On news said to water plants well this fall + trees so moisture will hold them in ground and not to up heave .

9. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Main prayer at church again was needing rain.Weather Dude keeps saying we are to get some but none in 10 days. And what we got soaked up very fast. Son And His friend went fishing. Pulled canoe to a deep hole.Iowa River very sad looking.

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yup we to have had a rain shortage here in Wis. Many southern Wis. farmers have little or no crops. I am thankful for the periodic rain we have been getting. I am now going out to water the flower garden in back. Tomorrow it's the veggie garden and then the next day it's the side flower beds. I am so glad we have a good and deep well. But I still try and keep the watering to a minimum. :stew1:

11. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I wish we had our sand point. And wasn't watering with just Rural water---$$$$ trying to keep things going.Sprinkled for a whole 10 minutes.Field crops look bad. Worst ones that have sandy soil.

12. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Yeah,we are still looking for rain. It seems muggy enough to build up to a storm. Maybe tomorrow. I didn't hear the weather report.Sure has been heavy dews.I'm waiting until it dries to take my tour.
    Wonder if these heavy dews & muggy weather will contribute to new woe for corn growers. Aflatoxin,a kind of fungus that makes it unfit. Stress from heat & drought makes crops susceptible .
    sNs

13. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Son called and said NW part of Iowa picking corn all ready.When the farmers don't have the extra $$$ for low yields -hurts other parts of USA.They buy Big time TOYS. Farmer next to me owns many places.$300,000 tractor and new Kinze planter.

14. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

So did you get any rain Koszta ? The wind blew & it rained about 4AM. Got almost an inch.It is supposed to cool off tomorrow.
    I'm shocked at how the crabgrass & other weeds have grown lately.
    sNs

15. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

SNS Got rain last night.Not sure how much but yes the crab-grass . And will put mud outfit on to pull some today. Son call ed he's working in NW Iowa-said very bad there.Lot of corn picked-hardly nothing for yield.