Hey Buddy can you share some rain?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by koszta kid, Jun 13, 2012.

1. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

We got 2 more inches very early yesterday AM.Had windows all closed & was prepared for it.
    What a nice day today(Sat).Going to be in 40s tonight,Brrr.
    sNs

2. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

These extreme temps.Want to get one of those big rain gauge -so can tell just how much we get.But glad to get any-and yes had bed room window open last night. Burrrr when i got up.will pick tomatoes and peppers today

3. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I know farmer who are in the fields most likely don't want rain. We are 12 inches below normal. Going to water well to plants don't up heave when ground freezes. Customer giving me me many containers-that has moisture control soil in them will add that also. And bags my leafs add that.But never thought I would also pray for snow

4. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Koszta,The situation is so bad that I think farmers would be glad to have a real rain.Next years crops depend on it. Heard a bit this AM that maybe next weekend we will get substantial rain.It is mind boggling to think how much snow we would need to add
    12 inches of moisture.
    sNs

Advertisement
  5. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Farmers I have talked to said let it rain and rain some more.One had to put up new even stronger fence. Cattle kept getting out-walked up the Iowa River.Had heck of a time getting back to his land.DS and friend went fishing. Pulled canoe to deep holes.Lot of sand point wells going dry. Ones who had not-told not to drink it.

6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Never thought I would be over joyed it rained yesterday.Got 1 inch. But deer and cattle getting sick drinking some of the water being so low in river' ponds and streams .we are 13 inches below normal Tug boats having trouble on Miss. 20 feet below normal

7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Hey Koszta- I hear ya! We had 1 1/2" Friday night! It was wonderful. We are extremely, dangerously dry here. Need rain and snow desperately!

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Koszta, if you are in the northwest part of Iowa it looks like your drought conditions and the condition here where I live are the same.....D3 - Extreme.
    http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

My yard got a whopping 3/8th inch the other day, first measurable rain on my yard since late Sept.

9. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Toni we are in the East center part of Iowa.If We don't get snow like they say this coming Thursday-like they say we are.Record for no measurable snow in 290 days.Glad we have watering tree and plants we can get to. Will be big fish kill. Seen a much last weekend at small lake :(

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our longest stretch with no measurable snow is 16 years...January 1940 to January 1956 ;)

11. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

No snow just normal here.In past had drift could walk right up to lower part of roof. DS who is from NW Iowa. 2 years ago had drifts 20 feet high on highway. Had to call national guard out. Land up that part flat as a pancake.Can see for 20 miles.And temp was -40* without wind.