Hi from South Carolina

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by southern bell, Aug 27, 2006.

1. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Welcome Southern Bell and Greasy Bean. From Louisiana

2. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Welcome! Welcome!
    Gloria & Greasy Bean :-D
    I think you'll like this place - I do!
    Deanna :)

3. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

Hi, should I call you Southern bell or Gloria? I bet you have really gotten the rain like me, it is trying to slack off now, I will be glad to see the sun tomorrow. I'm cookin country ham and cabbage so I'll be back and forth for a bit. I really want some corn bread but all I've done is eat in this rain so better try to hold off even though I really want some. Do you grow alot of greens? Perdi

4. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Makes no difference on the name.Ohhh country ham and cabbage sounds so good. That's Southern cooking for sure. I made that exact meal two nights ago except I did have the corn bread. Cooked Lima beans and ham last night. Just being hubby and me, a ham goes a long way.
    I grow a lot of mustards, turnips and collards. Have grown some cabbages too but not this year.

Advertisement
  5. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

Supper was ok but I should of fixed that cake of corn bread. :'( Perdi

6. Greasy Bean

Greasy Bean New Seed

Great Afternoon to,
    Garden Stew,Eileen,Wannabe,Dooley,Richard,Deanna and anyone else that I missed.

I would like to thank all of you for the great welcome to the "Stew". I know that I am late in thanking you folks but the garden has been pretty demanding of our time. When it is ready to be picked it wants to be picked. We pick of the day between the rains and prepare every thing to be canned of the night. Sometimes I would finish up the last run around 2 AM and be back at it early the next morning with no end in sight until the first big frost and then I will have to cut the vines from the sweet potatoes and dig them and they will not wait for that to be done or they will rot soon. After they cure I will include some of them in shipments going out to some of the elderly folks around along with the greens that will be ready at that time. Yes this little garden is a lot of hard work but causes us much joy. May just have to make it bigger next year.

Hope to get time to see if I can figure out the right way to post pictures to share with you folks soon.

Hope every one has a great and safe week-end

G Bean

7. Greasy Bean

Greasy Bean New Seed

Hi Perdi,
    I sure would like to have a big glass of buttermilk and a half of a cake of your cornbread. Hint Hint.
    Hope your rain has stopped for now so you can get out and about. Sure would hate for you to get cabin fever right now. I think that Southern Bell has flew the cope on us. LOL

Get in here and tell us some thing. I have been out of touch for awhile so need to get caught up on the current happens.

G Bean

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Hi greenbean,
    Welcome to the Stew .Love green beans and new potatos .Wheres the pictures?

9. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Ohhh nooo, you did not say green bean!LOL. Greasy Bean majors in growing greasy beans. You would not believe the trouble he goes through for those greasy beans and building the arbors for them that looks like huge green tunnels of beans.
    You just have to post these nice folks a pic of the bean patch, GB. I think they will be amazed.

10. Greasy Bean

Greasy Bean New Seed

Good Afternoon glendann,
    Thank you very much for the welcome and I happy to be here with fine folks in The Stew.

I have a stack of tapes for my Panasonic palm corder and a bunch from the Kodak P-850 stored on the computer that I want to share with you folks as soon as I get it figured out how to transfer them to someplace that I can upload them to the Stew.

It will soon be time for the beautiful Sunsets to start around here. that is when you better be ready for the pictures.

If you have a garden spot I could send you some Greasy Bean seed then you could grow some next year. Since you have an early spring you could have a crop picked and canned before the hot part of the summer.

wishing you a great evening.

G bean

11. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Welcome both of ya'll from West Tennessee. 8)

12. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Hi bethie, it's good to be here with all these nice folks. Thanks for the welcome.

13. Greasy Bean

Greasy Bean New Seed

Hi Bethie,
    Welcome back to you and since you are from West Tenn that just about makes us neighbors. We are looking forward to getting to know every one. So far I can say that the Stew has a lot of very nice people. Since I have never met a person who has a garden who was not a happy person I would not expect otherwise.

Sending a good evening wish your way.
    G Bean

14. Greasy Bean

Greasy Bean New Seed

Gloria & Glndann,
    Who mentioned the Magic Word GREEN BEAN. Just as soon as I get it figured out I will for sure Post a few pictures of the soon to be world famous Greasy Bean Hut with the tunnels which even on a hot day is nice and cool when picking the best tasting green beans grown in these mountains. Now Gloria since I wanted a break from the heat in the kitchen I decided to make some leather britches out a couple of bushel of the G Beans. That is the way the earlier generations fixed their beans for future use. The sweet wife pulled the strings from the beans and I put them on stout thread and hung them up to dry for future winter meals. There is no store bought bean that can compare with the home grown greasy beans of which there are many to pick from but at this time are not available over a wide spread area. I will try to change that by sending seed out to as many people as possible.

I want to see a picture of a Greasy Bean covered arch way from South Carolina and several other states next year and before you know it the canned beans that are on the shelfs at the store will sit there and rust away from all of the chemacials that are in the can with the beans. My Greasy Beans have nothing sprayed on them what so ever and are better for us.

Better hush before I run out of room with this book on the greasy beans.

G Bean [/u][/b]

15. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Greasy Bean, send me a pic and I will be glad to post it for you. I do indeed want to have a greasy bean hut next season and will do my best to make it grow like yours. If I succeed, I will need a hand book complete with illustrations to show me how to make leather britches from them to dry and your method of canning and cooking. Then I shall be set to take on the greasy bean patch.