Hi From St. Louis, Missouri

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Weedscaper, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Weedscaper :wave:
    Welcome to Gardenstew from southern Ontario!
    I was going to guess your mystery plant was Millet, but I see your mystery is solved. The birds plant all kinds of wonderful things in my yard too :)

2. Weedscaper

Weedscaper New Seed

Thanks for the welcome Netty and Jewell.

Jewell raises the knotty question of what is a weed vs. what is not. Of course, Millet is a grain. But then, any uninvited plant is either a grass, wildflower, etc. I suspect that a weed, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder (except for crabgrass, the roach of the plant world, which slowly begins to rot in late September, and hangs around for months!).

This is a potentially emotional and weighty topic, so I started a thread on the validity and utility of the word "weed" here.

Thanks to Landmark Landscapes for reminding me of something I'd wager I once knew: the difference between a frog and a toad. With it's comparatively small legs and bumpy skin, the handsome fellow pictured in my icon is a toad.

I've gotten some results from planting the seeds in the bird food, and since this is the welcome thread I've started up another in The Village Square.