HI! I'm new here from the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Perdita Shaylee, Sep 1, 2006.

1. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Thanks Perdi, I've never tried growing lettuce. Is there a certain season for it. Being we're so close in states, what grows good for you may work here too. And yes,I like to trade plants and seeds too. I've gotten some really good things that way.
    As for my dogs, they are spoiled rotten and over weight bad, especially the 2 boys. They're my little buddies now that the children are grown and gone. I spend more time with them than the hubby!!
    Pm me and maybe we can do a trade soon.

2. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

Oh about the post office ,I forgot it was Friday, a very long line! I'll do that another day. P

3. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Welcom Perdita from Michigan - like many others Here I don't grow mushrooms just love to eat them.

4. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

Thanks Polly! I eat them too,and when I'm stuck in this house in the rain EVERYTHING ELSE!!!! I try not to eat too much fat but too much of anything is fattening.Sun shine tomorrow thank goodness! Perdi

Advertisement
  5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

When Wannabe and I were kids we would take our bags and to mushroom hunting. Two of our brothers would go or we would go by ourselves. We knew what kind to pick and our mom would check them when we got home. I think they were called morels. There was a woods near our house and we always went there. Our brother picked one in the Upper Penisula of Michigan that weighed more than 5 pounds. He was staying with some of our dad's family at the time. Dooley

6. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Have you ever tried stuffed mushrooms? Hubby makes a stuffing with crab meat, rolls them in a breaderer and deep fries. They're real good.
    Woohoo Dooley, that was a huge mushroom! I'd like to see hubby stuff one that big!

7. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

Hi Gloria, I have fixed stuff mushrooms but I don't bread mine, I stuff them with crab meat then put cheese on top and bake them but they sound really good your way too. I really like a really rich homemade mushroom soup when it's cold, I use button and shitaki with cream and a some cream cheese, just makes it a little richer. Gosh I'm started to get hungry thinking about all this good food. I better hush or I'll be rumaging around in the kitchen again.Perdi

8. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Welcome Perdita evey one on our road has a yard full of Mushrooms just not the edible kind. what we have people in Louisiana call Fairy Rings, because they sometime appear in circles. I don't know what triggers these outbreaks but it happens quite often.

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Your welcome,Its just to risky for me to attempt.Our
    rooms and hallways are santized and the compost is put in big beds and then put under constant 280 degrees for 36 hrs before they spawn them and our floors and everything are constantly check for e-coli.We pass all kinds of audits by our big customers mostly have 100 % 99 %.We must pass all of this to continue selling to our customers.I have worked for this company for over seven years and we have never failed an audit .Mushrooms are very healthy for you anyone wanting recipes pm me and I will send some to you.

10. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

OH Dooley!! you know how to fetch us up the good ones!!!!...... Beware!!!! I am gonna come and get you and drag you up here and praise you like the" purple ribbon" mushroom hound you are,the coon and bear dogs will hang thier heads in disgrace!You have to be a fine, fine smart somebody and I mean a fine smart somebody to do that!!MORELS???and you did that as a youngin?YOU have any idea what those mushrooms are worth?????........

11. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

huh? am I on here?

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Yes, Perdita they are expensive .I have a friend that hunted then in ohio where she was from .Truffles are more expencive than those .They are like gold expecially black truffles .

13. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Fairy rings

After a tree dies, it leaves all the roots to decompose underground. When decomposition/humidity/rainy weather conditions are just right, mushrooms appear in a ring where the tree drip edge used to be, but now only the dead roots are left. It is quite the magical sight, those fairy rings.

Jan, the pondlady in New Orleans

14. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Hi From Washington, where Morels grow wild in the woods! But as far as growing them, plant zucchini instead! It'll love the compost you have, and nothings better than a chunk of it, hollow out the seeds, cram in anything you'd stuff in a mushroom, and bake that instead!
    My grandmother used to gather up morels out of the woods at the old family homestead, I don't think anyone picks them anymore. Too many nasty ones out there.

15. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

I'll bet truffles and morells are growing right up here in these mountains and I see things growing all over the place but don't know whats what unless it's in a grocery store. Don't you need a dog or a pig to find truffles? I don't want anything to ever do with pigs again, talk about something that will root up a garden!!!!I think I need to research quite a bit more about truffles and mushrooms. I can always feed them to the x and see which ones are safe! :D The stuffed zuchinni sounds yummy too! Sounds like growing mushrooms comercially is a awful lot of work!I can see why you would have to have a sterile enviroment to grow them in too.I see alot of the fairy rings and saw one time someone put a gnome right in the middle, it was cute, I should have taken a picture. It's a dreary rainy day today and guess I'll be stuck working inside :( . Have a great day everyone!! Perdi