Home Downsizing

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by KK Ng, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I've been downsizing since 2004. I'm in my forever home now, and SO glad I spent that time minimizing my possessions. Things are so much easier with less "stuff."

Wish my housemate would learn that lesson! ;)

Good luck KK and I'm sure you'll make your new place a home in very short order!

2. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

DW and I are in the process of downsizing because of age and health problems. If we can find a Condo that allows dogs we plan on moving next summer. I will be gardening in containers on a balcony hopefully. John

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Good luck with your new home KK and your new garden. We have grown accustomed to your previous home and garden that we too will go through an adjustment period. Looking forward to exciting things to come. Of course you have a family of stewbies to take along, virtual residents only need the space in your computer and all we need is to be fed pictures. Hint, hint..... :)

Jerry

Frank likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a surprise KK--selling your home and moving. I can understand it, of course...but it seems a shame in a way. You will have to give up your mini garden which you have worked so hard to get right...and what about that exotic fish-water-veggie hydroponic system that you built.

Well, as I said--I can understand that you would look for something smaller. Will you try and find a new home in Malacca...or one of the other states?

I can just imagine that you would be feeling quite a bit of stress at the moment, but that will pass as you begin to get things arranged.

Good luck with your new dwelling--and the making of your new garden.

I can't wait to see your pictures.

Advertisement
  5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Hopefully, that exotix fish-veggei hydroponic system will this time become something that will have Sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their heads, (or at least some very ill tempered mutated sea bass)! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh5Lh-tTSZQ

And if not even that, then at least a very hungry crocodile in a big bathtub! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S819AoMXBic

6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you Sgmgarden, yes I do need all the good luck and yes there is going to be lots of photos.

Thank you Chocolate, keeping my fingers crossed I hope I can organize the mini-farm better this time.

Frank, I am surprised too!!! I spent lots of time renovating this house and it took me almost a year plus working on it during weekends and off days. The major work were all done by the contractor and I did the designing, windows, doors, wiring, plumbing, painting, loft and landscaping. I guess the past is history now and the present is why we wanted a change for a better future. Thank you Frank and do come by to our new place.

I guess you are right Eileen the excitement will really start when everything is in place. Thank you and we are looking forward to this new chapter.

Thank you Barb for showing us the direction in the life journey, yes the grand kids ….. hmmm wonder when???? Thanks again Barb.
    ?
    Thanks Koszta Kid, yes bubble wrap I’ll put it in my shopping list.

Thank you Cayuga Morning, the stress is lessened with all the support I am getting here. ? No I don’t think my kids will be available, we will probably get the transport company to provide some casual labour. I’ve started a stockpile of compost for the new mini-farm. :)

Hehe!!! :D Thanks Cherlyad the garage is going to be clean!!!

Marlingardener, thank you for the encouragement and support. I have started with propagation of all the plants that I want to take with me including lawn grass too!!!

I could smell all the fresh air surrounding the new mini-farm, thanks TheBip.

Dooley, it is indeed lots of work. Thanks for the reminder and I guess we better start to catalogue what we want, to give away, to sell and to the recyclers …. Headache, headache, headache. Thank you for your encouragement and support.

Kastle de KK 8) sounds good, thanks Cuatro-gatos.

Thanks Ronni, that is the direction I’m working towards – less is better.

Good luck to you in finding a great new place to stay John.

Jerry thank you, your words pepped me up, I hope I can get connected as soon as I moved.

Sojerd, I was surprised too but I guess it is for the best knowing what is becoming of this neighbourhood. Giving up the mini-farm is not a problem but getting the new mini-farm fertile organically and right might be a problem but with help I am getting here I guess it would not be much of a problem. The fish-water-veggie hydroponic system can be moved so it is not a problem.
    We have already found and made a booking for our new home and yes it is in Malacca. It is smaller with a smaller garden which is enough for me to start my mini-farm. The environment is beautiful with lots of green and is not far from the city.
    With all the support and encouragement I get here, the stress level is reduced. Thank you Sjoerd.

Frank likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Wow, KK! Congratulations on getting your house sold so quickly. I am sure that must have been a little disconcerting to have it happen so quickly. too. Now you have a new opportunity to have your farm and house in the same location? Now you can clean out the garage with no regrets at getting rid of something that you might need some other time, huh? just get rid of it.

8. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Congratulations KK. We have talked about down sizing. But that's as far as we've got with it. We both wonder what we would do without all this stuff. Probably not work so hard. I think I would be bored to tears. Sounds like you found the perfect place.

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Carolyn you are absolutely right. Thanks.

Thanks Donna, we did talk about it a couple of times and did nothing about it until now. Maybe I guess it was the negative changes in the neighbourhood that prompted us.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

We downsized about 8 years ago...we had 3 acres and it was just taking so long to keep everything looking like we liked. It was well worth the move but I do miss the country.

Try and relax and enjoy your time you have left in your old home and just remember that change does take time to get used too...I am sure you will like the new home because the two of you will be making new memories together. Good Luck...

11. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Good luck and enjoy the transformations. It is so important to have a home in a neighborhood you enjoy. Glad you are making positive changes for yourself and your wife. Can't wait to see photos of the new place. ;)

12. mart

mart Strong Ash

We have 30 acres and another 30 down the road a bit, and that's as small as I want to get. Sounds exciting KK, waiting for pics. Maybe you can grow tomatoes at the new house.

13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Sherry8, I am feeling a little more relaxed and is getting excited about it now. I am actually moving away from the city and into the suburbs. Where I am now was actually the suburbs and the city grew. When I was in school people actually ask why we stayed in the jungle!!!

Thank you Jewell, now we are just waiting for the whole process to be official.

Wow!!! that is huge!!! That is exactly my thoughts about the tomatoes too Mart, thanks